Author Topic: L298N Motor Driver Board  (Read 1757 times)

Offline cjoeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
L298N Motor Driver Board
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »
I'm new to robotics. I was trying to put together the 4tronix initio Arduino controlled robotic car http://www.4tronix.co.uk/arduino/4tronix-initio.php.
One part is a L298N Motor Driver Board. As I was working on it, it was still connected the power source. The GND wire slipped out (the batteries were in). Can that damage the board? Once I noticed it, I did put it back, but after that I can't make it work.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: L298N Motor Driver Board
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
Yes, disconnecting (or connecting) power or load while inductive loads (motors) are active may cause temporary transients that are higher than the rated maximums for your circuitry.
If you can't make even a simple sketch work (that, say, turns on the H-bridge to drive the motor one direction only,) then it's likely the driver or perhaps the Arduino has been damaged.
Using a logic analyzer, oscilloscope, or worst case, multimeter, you can measure where the signals are going, and then compare to what's supposed to happen, to troubleshoot what's going wrong.

Offline cjoeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: L298N Motor Driver Board
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
Thanks a lot. That is what I was afraid of. Well, at least the Arduino is working fine. I'll check the rest.
Thanks for the answer.

Get Your Ad Here