go away spammer

Author Topic: self balancing with 2 different rpms?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline SitherusTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
self balancing with 2 different rpms?
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »
ok so i have 1 motor that is a my1016 i got from an old scooter and i want to make a self balancing robot but when i cant find another motor with the same rpm first of all if anyone knows of a place that sells a my1016 24vdc motor with 2300 rpm please tell me i need it cheap like 30 bucks or less ut ill go up to 40. anyways i was wondering first of all if the rpm will effect the balancing of the robot, will i have to calibrate the speed of each motor seperatly? Second, i have only seen this done with arduino i was wondering if this was possible with phidgets or vex. the motors will be using relays but be plugged into one of those boards through them. to anyone that can provide answers i thank you.

• Helpful? 1
Re: self balancing with 2 different rpms?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 11:29:38 PM »
nevermind the question about phidgets or vex or arduino im getting arduino instead i heard it can do everything phidgets can but can handle more and works in your own programing environment

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »
You cannot do a balancing robot using relays; you need a fast-switching solid-state motor controller that lets you do PWM.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »
ok then say i use a sabretooth motor controller then how do i hook it up to an arduino?
also will i be able to calibrate for each individual motors difference in rpm's?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »
Yes, a Sabretooth would work fine, as would most other MOSFET H-bridge based motor controllers with PWM support.

You can write code that calibrates for two motors of different RPM/torque characteristics, yes. It will be slightly more complex than the one-motor-type version, though, especially if you want to compensate for things like varying inertia in the different motors.

My suggestion would be to buy two motors that are the same, and save the existing motor for another project.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »
Yes, a Sabretooth would work fine, as would most other MOSFET H-bridge based motor controllers with PWM support.

Do yoou know of a motor controller for my project that would work but be on the cheaper side? like less than 100 dollars see i have a 200dollar spending limit and i still need motors that cab support 150 lbs and have at least 100rpm and arduino uno and proto sheild

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »
No, I do not know how to hit those specifications at that budget. (Don't you also need batteries?)

Go looking for deals from China, or used, on eBay perhaps? Dont' know if you'll find everything you need below that cost anyway.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 10:55:30 AM »
I looked at that motor. It seems to give you 7.5 kgcm of torque.
150 lbs is about 70 kg, so you'd get about 1 millimeter of torque-distance for the given load.
This means the motor probably wouldn't work for climbing any kind of inclines with the load you suggest.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »
No, I do not know how to hit those specifications at that budget. (Don't you also need batteries?)

I have 1 12v 10ah battery
 i had 2 but the other one stopped working

Get Your Ad Here

data_list