go away spammer

Author Topic: position of robot and color sensor  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Mudasir Ahmed MemonTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
position of robot and color sensor
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
my research project is "Particle Swarm Optimization Based Dynamic Target Tracking Military Robots with Lego Mindstorm NXT 2.0 (Hardware)"
The main hurdle which i am facing right now in my research is as under"

1st.      How to find unknown Xid (current position) of the robot in unknown environment , after finding current position i can easily apply PSO on my research project.  Because in formula only three parameters are needed, xid, pbest and gbest. I can easily calculate pbest and gbest but the problem is with current position of robot in each iteration. How I calculate this and put in formula in every iteration in unknown position of unknown environment.

2nd.      the  color sensor which comes with the package of "Lego mindstorm robotic kit" can detect or identify colors in the range 1 to 2 inch. which is not enough for identifying any object or color. as u we know target or any particle is placed at least at a distance of 10-20 inches.

kindly guide me which technique i should adopt for calculating the current position of robot used in every iteration and second how i identify any object or target placed at a greater distances. 

please suggets a proper color sensor who fulfill my needs and also compatible with lego mindstorm kit.   in case if there is no any sensor who can sense in that range, plx suggest another technique which can detect or identify different  objects which are at a distance ...................................... thanx in advance :)

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: position of robot and color sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »
You might be able to increase the range of the color sensor with some optical lenses. Basically a small telescope so the sensor see's a small part of the distance object. You may also need optics on the light source to illuminate the object.

How large are the 'objects'?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »
Detecting and identifying objects at a distance is most commonly done with a camera and a suitable lens. A library like OpenCV could be used.
You could do this with a Raspberry Pi and a webcam (or the Pi camera) for example.
Interfacing with Lego Mindstorms could then be done over I2C.

Offline Mudasir Ahmed MemonTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:06:52 AM »
thanx for valuable suggestions :) .

link  of kit

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-MINDSTORMS-NXT-2-0-8547

package contains:

The intelligent NXT LEGO® brick features 32-bit microprocessor, a large matrix display, 4 input and 3 output ports, and Bluetooth and USB communication link
Three interactive servo motors
Four sensors: Ultrasonic Sensor, 2 Touch Sensors and the all-new Color Sensor
Color Sensor has triple functionality: distinguishes colors and light settings, and functions as a lamp

link of sensor which is in pakage

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Color-Sensor-9694

how i can use lens in that, it is a complete embedded system.  second thing if i use camera there will be compatibility issues,

please give me suggestions on my 1st question i will be highly thankful to you, how i can calculate current position of robot in unknown environment.

Get Your Ad Here