Author Topic: What type of motor is this?  (Read 6858 times)

Offline hazzer123Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
What type of motor is this?
« on: March 30, 2007, 05:27:25 AM »
Whilst looking for a steper motor i found this motor in an old laser printer.

I'm not sure what type of motor it is. On the yellow label on the motor, it says 'servo type' and is manufactured by japan servo. I cannot find the motor anywhere on the internet when i type in the model number (BH55FT15-06). It is rated at 24V and 15W. The IC on it ist a 3-phase brushless motor driver.

There are 7 inputs - 24V, p-GND, LD, S/S, CLK, DIR and S-GND.

The motor is very smooth to rotate.

Could you guys possibly tell me what this is and how to control it?

Thankyou

Hazzer123
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline Krispy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: What type of motor is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:38:53 AM »
try wikipedia.com
i had to do a project on some thing from japan and u get stuff from all voer the world... might help

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:41:04 PM »
If any kinda motor has 7 input wires to it, that pretty much narrows it down to a stepper motor (or some kind on strange servo that I've never heard of). But those 7 wires should be the power for each of the coils in the motor (most likely 1 ground 3 shaft coils and 3 housing coils). To run it, look at either admins article on motors, or just look it up on like Wikipedia, basically you need to find out the timing for each of the coils to get it to run. The only thing that could be confusing is the board its attached to, meaning it might have a stepper motor driver on it already and those 7 wires are just comming of the controller board. Look at the actual motor it self, if you can only find 2 wires attached directly to the motor then its just a regular motor, if there are 7 wires connected DIRECTLY to the motor then connected to the board just read the above.
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:05:49 PM »
can we see the other side?

Offline Tsukubadaisei

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:09:21 PM »
This is an old stepper motor produced by Japan Servo industries. It is already obsolete and you won't find anything about it anymore. I tried asking them for a manual but since they don't support it anymore they didn't send me a copy. Maybe the info from the new models might help you.

http://www.japanservo.jp/products/special.html
(but it is in Japanese so you might want to use babelfish...)
A.I.(yes those are my initials)

Offline hazzer123Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:57:25 AM »
Thanks a lot for your replies :)

Hmmm the reason i dont think it is a stepper motor is because it is really smooth to rotate, whereas the stepper motor i have jogs around 7.5degrees when i turn it by hand. The coils are attached to the circuit board and the casing turns aswell as the axle.

I tried connecting the 7 lines as i would have guessed. Voltage and ground lines wired up, the direction set high, a square wave in the CLK pin and i set the S/S high, but i still get no locking or movement in the motor.

Thanks once again

Harry
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 04:11:40 AM by hazzer123 »
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 05:04:43 PM »
The IC on it ist a 3-phase brushless motor driver
Im willing to bet its a 3-phase brushless motor :P

Somewhere on this board the driver was connected to something else. In theory you should just need to send a certain signal and power to those pins and the motor should work . . . You might be able to guess the signal by doing some tracing to the IC pins . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list