Author Topic: Mounting wheels with small Toe-In angle.  (Read 3897 times)

Offline brijeshTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Mounting wheels with small Toe-In angle.
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:10:37 AM »
In RC cars a small toe-in angle between 0-3 degrees is used to increase straight line stability. How about using the same concept with differential steering robots, with 2 wheels and a caster?
Has anyone tried it?

Here is link which explains Toe, Camber and Caster angles of wheels.
http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

With a Toe-In angle there will be some scrubbing of the wheel and loss of power. Question is how much will it help in keeping the robot going straight with a diff-steering?

Brijesh

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: Mounting wheels with small Toe-In angle.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 02:40:48 PM »
well when the robot starts going backwards it turns into toe out.
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 06:16:27 AM »
Most of the RC car toys i have dismounted the stearing mechanism is driven by magnets. Just magnets turning + and - by power controlling what way its going to turn, i dont know if that got anything with this to do tho.. :P
How to build a biped bot:

Offline brijeshTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:27:38 AM »
ed1380,
mm...true, when it goes in reverse it becomes Toe-Out. Looks like I have to experiment a little to figure out if Toe-In has any positive effects.

sotu,
By RC cars I meant hobby grade RC cars. In hobby RC cars steering mechanism is well designed with lots of features for tuning.

Brijesh

Offline maverick monk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 07:29:09 PM »
Most of the RC car toys i have dismounted the stearing mechanism is driven by magnets. Just magnets turning + and - by power controlling what way its going to turn, i dont know if that got anything with this to do tho.. :P

that dosent apply to high proformance rc cars, the onroads use toe in, toe out, and camber as a tuning aid to improve the handling. they steer with a hobby servo and have bellcrank or akerman (sp) steering. very complex. great learning tool for dampning and suspension geometry.

ok, toe in is worthless on a robot unless your going at 20+ mph ( hobby rc go between 20 to about 50 or 60 on average) and are racing on a track wear hundreths of a second matter.

edit, sry didnt read the last post
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:30:49 PM by maverick monk »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list