Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Building first robot, need help getting started

(1/8) > >>

Nastybutler187:
Here's the story: I'm pretty new to this entire circuitry thing. I have a project for school (science olympiad specifically) in which I need to build an electric vehicle that travels a precise given distance.

For example, they would tell me that my car would have to stop at 173 cm, at which point I will program it to do so, and let it run.

I've been looking around a bunch of different online robotics shops, but I can't seem to find anything that I think is fit. I guess what I am looking for is a programmable motor, something running off of a 9 volt or so that I would be able to program to make a certain number of rotations. I would also naturally have to be able to change the number of rotations I want it to make at any point (changing it would have to be relatively simple, not something I would need to solder, etc. at home). Anybody have any ideas where I could go about finding something like this?

If worst comes to worst, I'm thinking about using a mechanical system for stopping the car, such as a wing nut sliding down a threaded axle as the car moves. In that case I would still need a motor to give the car its initial momentum.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys  :)

creedcradle:

--- Quote from: Nastybutler187 on October 01, 2007, 04:57:27 PM ---
 I guess what I am looking for is a programmable motor, something running off of a 9 volt or so that I would be able to program to make a certain number of rotations. I would also naturally have to be able to change the number of rotations I

--- End quote ---

you need an encoder for your motor

see these:

www.pololu.com
http://www.active-robots.com/

--- Quote from: Nastybutler187 on October 01, 2007, 04:57:27 PM ---
If worst comes to worst, I'm thinking about using a mechanical system for stopping the car, such as a wing nut sliding down a threaded axle as the car moves.

--- End quote ---

why use wings? apply a braking system on the motor to stop it from running, say with the use of H-bridge ..

Nastybutler187:
Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Could you please be more specific? Like I said I'm pretty new to this. Is an encoder the same thing as a motor controller? And where might I find one that would limit the number of rotations a motor would make? Thanks

creedcradle:

--- Quote from: Nastybutler187 on October 01, 2007, 07:06:22 PM --- Is an encoder the same thing as a motor controller? 

--- End quote ---

encoder is this

http://www.societyofrobots.com/sensors_encoder.shtml

--- Quote from: Nastybutler187 on October 01, 2007, 07:06:22 PM --- And where might I find one that would limit the number of rotations a motor would make?

--- End quote ---

this is where the microcontroller chip comes in, and you have to do programming on this

http://www.societyofrobots.com/microcontroller_tutorial.shtml

Nastybutler187:
Thanks again. Reading this is a bit intimidating.. it seems pretty difficult. I have a couple more questions though. I read about the encoders, and it seems those are used to measure the distance a robot moves, not tell it to move a certain distance like I need. Also, exactly what parts would I need, and how much would it cost altogether? I'm looking for the precision to be to the nearest centimeter. Lastly do you know by any chance if anyone has done anything like this before. I don't want to order a bunch of stuff I know nothing about and end up breaking something.. Those links were pretty good but they wouldn't be specific enough for my purposes. Thanks man.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version