go away spammer

Author Topic: Robot Path Finding Project Home  (Read 2871 times)

Offline swordmaster2kTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Robot Path Finding Project Home
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:57:23 AM »
Hi,

So I'm brand new to this community which I found via a Google search for "online robotics communities", I also came across "www.communityofrobots.com" but that place seems pretty dead, so I chose society of robots.

Anyway I've been apart of online communities before most notably www.rpgtoolkit.net  where I was the lead software developer for that open source project from 2012-2014, I've now moved into robotic applications focused mostly on navigation. I'm currently working on a year long project as part of my final year in Computer Science and what I m really looking for is somewhere to share my work. It is currently up on Github https://www.github.com/swordmaster2k/botnav the readme is currently lacking...

So, my project is based on path finding for mobile robots (wheeled, tracked, humanoid, etc.) in a 2D environment. It is largely research based but there is a fair amount of software implementation it includes:

• Grid based path planning routines
  • Reusable software design
  • Autonomous navigation with map building
  • Wireless communication via Bluetooth, Wifi, Serial, etc...

The idea is that I produce a generic navigation system with a graphical program that a user can adapt to any ground based robot with very little effort. This gives the robot some "intelligence" but it requires some means of sensing where it is, a range finder, and communications to a computer. I already have the software running on 2 different systems Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

I'm wondering if this is a suitable home for such a project or are there any others?

Thanks.

Offline Fr0stAngel

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
Re: Robot Path Finding Project Home
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 03:09:45 AM »
Welcome,
Ofcourse you can share your project and ideas here. Since this is a generic community, we have users from many domains of knowledge. You can also ask question related to your work, and most people will be happy to help. I have a friend of mine working on robot heterogeneity simulations and path planning on MatLab, and i'm sure many users would also have experience in this field.
But hey, even if you don't find someone to help you, you can be the one to help others in their quests  ;D A knowledge not shared, is a knowledge wasted (unless it's for a bad purpose  :-\). Good Luck!
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »
The core of the project is really based around a path planning algorithm called  Field D* which has been used on the past 3 mars rovers opportunity, spirit, curiosity. I've been searching for an open source implementation of it but there is nothing publically available. So if I can implement it in something like C it could prove useful to others.

I already have Dijkstra's Algorithm and D* Lite running, Field D* is an extension of D* Lite so hopefully I'll be able to achieve what I'm aiming for. The really advantage of the algorithm is that it produces natural paths and fast.

Offline Fr0stAngel

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »
hmm... that's good to know. Do share the results when you are done :)
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »
Just to update anyone, basically what happens at the moment is you feed in a text file map like this with a Robot and Goal position:

###########
#       #       ##
######      ##
#        G     ##
#          #####
#          #      #
#          #      #
#          #      #
#R       #      #
#######      #
###########

And you get this, which the robot then traverses:

###########
#       #       ##
######      ##
#        G     ##
#        *  #####
#      *    #     #
#     *     #     #
#   *       #     #
#R         #     #
#######      #
###########

Works with either a hardware or software robot and the path planners are interchangeable so you can get different more optimal paths.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list