Author Topic: Help for a Robotic Turrent: Part 1  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Flame3230Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Help for a Robotic Turrent: Part 1
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
I am trying to create an automatic tracked turret, but I know that I will need some help. I am going to work on the robot in parts, and first I want to get a treaded base made. I wish to have it about 1~2 feet long, and preferably less than 8 inches tall. The main part I need help with is making a control board to house in the base, where it can control the motors, read the sensors, and other commands. I'm expecting to go with an arudio, I'm not very familiar with most electronics, but I can learn quickly. I don't know if this will help, but in the end product, there will be 4 motors (but there will be 2 pairs, with each in the pair running the same as the other.), one output to fire the gun, a place to read rfid signals, 2 camera input ports, and an additional input port (some type of radar/echolocation/ultrasonic device). I do have many supplies for the base construction, though; I have a ready supply of sheet metal and wood, I have motors for the bot (gutted from a powerwheels, they have a decent amount of power.), and I have basic experience for engineering, programming, and electrical systems (ie. lego robotics). Any help is greatly appreciated.

almost forgot, I will have a radio controller to operate the turret at first, and then use it later to activate different programs.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:16:31 PM by Flame3230 »

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Help for a Robotic Turrent: Part 1
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:16:07 PM »
first off, i would recommend the roboduino instead of the arduino...
it has many more features that will help you in your project...
if you search the forum, razor concepts has a thread about a tracking turret he made that uses a scanning servo with the gun and a sharp i.r mounted on top of it. are you looking at using servos or dc motors?
Howdy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 04:19:25 PM »
I have dc motors I believe, I don't know how to tell the difference though. I will also look around at the roboduino, I had presumed the aruduino just because I heard it in electrical projects so much :)

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:49:27 PM »
If you have easy access to soldering tools and connectors, go for the Roboduino, you will have nice, solid connections.

If you don't, use the Arduino with a breadboard.

Here's the link to my turret
http://razor.narobo.com/turret.html

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »
very nice, and i definitely think that I will go with the roboduino board. As for the motors:

these are the motors themselves

and here are all of the connectors on the wire. I need to figure out how to rig the two motors to go off of the same connector that's attached to the robodunio. I am still working on getting another set of these, but I also have the gearboxes, which I will proboably use because it gives it a lot more torque (can carry about 60lbs at walking speed for about 2 hours). If one of ya'll can tell me what the connectors name is, I'll go search for it at radioshack or something.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:33:17 PM by Flame3230 »

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
Sounds like an intersting project, but I would go with some servos. You'll have an easier time with them because they are position control, unlike the motors that require a complicated feedback system, and not to mention a larger number of I/O need for it.

P.S. Razor, are you going to be constructing a Portal turret body for your sweet @$$ turret? :)
Kurt

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:45:17 AM »
those motors look like they don't have gearboxes, you will need gearboxes unless you want your motors going 100mph... you will also need a motor controller...
i would also suggest looking into servos and weighing up pros and cons...
some pros:
servos have built in gearbox.
servos have built in motor controller.
servos have built in feedback control if not modified.
servos are plug in and play, nothing else required.
if you use dc motors you will have to buy a gearbox and motor controller at a minimum...
consider these thoughts...
Howdy

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »
I also have the gearboxes, which I will proboably use
Did you read the whole thread smash? or even the post you were responding to?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:19:56 AM by madchimp »

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
ahh, crap... sorry... i did read the thread but i must've forgotten or something.
my bad.
Howdy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »
Yeah, I just didn't take pictures of the gearboxes because I hosed them off and they were drying. But, I figured that I could just put some new connectors on to the wire so I can plug it into the Roboduino. Plus, I plan on using servos for the feedback on the turret, but it is not as much as an issue with the base. I'm gonna program it to seek out people and avoid running in to stuff, so feedback is not as much of an issue  ;)

And btw, would I be able to rig up a small radar with a radius of about 10 feet? Enough to getect obstacles and approaching people :D

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »
beware not to plug the motors into the roboduino though... remember a motor controller... fried roboduino does not smell too good.... although it doesn't smell at all...
for "Radar" you can mount a ping or something similar and have it scan the area and record the distances...
Howdy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 07:16:24 AM »
I didn't realize that ping was the technical term :P But I'll defiantly look into a motor controller.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »
well, "ping))" is a brand i think? a very common one for sonar sensors. so when most people say ping on this forum just think sonar ;)
Howdy

Get Your Ad Here

data_list