Author Topic: Creating the Robot Brain  (Read 1649 times)

Offline LeftHandRoboticsTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Creating the Robot Brain
« on: June 30, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »
Like most enthusiasts I am perhaps a little overly ambitious and am trying to create a social robot.  The problem I am running into, (before I've even begun), is this:  Even if I can eventually create the software with Java that will allow the robot to participate in simple conversations, how to I connect this with the robot?  In other words, I would like do simple things like if he doesn't understand what was just said, than he tilts his head 10 degrees and says "huh?".  The software would be able to create a text output of "huh?" but how would I get the software to control his movement.  Isn't this the purpose of Microcontrollers?  Would I put the entire Java program that I create INTO the microcontroller and have the microcontroller do ALL of the functions?  As you can tell I am a novice to this hobby.

~Lefty

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: Creating the Robot Brain
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:04:47 AM »
Have the java program output with COM ports ( using RXTX library for example ) , and then the mirocontroller can receive the information. You can use either the serial port or usb port on a computer.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »
what do you mean have it output with COM ports?  What is a COM port?  I'm familiar with a usb port, but what is a serial port?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
what do you mean have it output with COM ports?  What is a COM port?  I'm familiar with a usb port, but what is a serial port?

Look at and read the SoR tutorials. The subject is covered.

Also look in the Windows Device Manger and there is a Ports(COM & LPT) category. Then Google will tell you tons about each.

As to your original question:
If the PC, with Jave, is doing the 'high level' behave for the Bot, this would send commands from the PC (serial transfer) to the Bot. The Bot would need an 'embedded processor' to receive and interpret the 'high level' commands then set output bits to control motors, LEDs, etc to enable the Bot to execute the commands (express emotion, speak, etc).

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »
Very helpful thank you!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list