go away spammer

Author Topic: Axon II USB  (Read 1565 times)

Offline totalisTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Axon II USB
« on: June 03, 2010, 05:48:56 AM »
I have nearly finished my 3d model of the Axon II, including all traces and components. the only problem i am having is understanding the schematic of the CP2102 usb controller and the caps and voltage regulator? next to it.

if anyone knows how this is setup that would be brilliant.

Pic attached it the latest render of my Axon II model.
comments and criticism all welcome

if you want a .blend (Blender) file of the model, let me know

blender is a 3d modelling program: www.blender.org

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Axon II USB
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:53:24 PM »
wow . . .

ok some very very nit-picky comments.

For the push button, the casing is white, the top surface is a metallic reflective surface, and the actual button is black. My own CAD is wrong - I used the color scheme for the button of the original Axon and didn't notice they were different until today - oops!

For the voltage regulator, the two top corners on the metal part are cut off at 45 degree angles. You can kinda see it in the top-down images of mine.

Also, I see a USB connector underneath your connector - you may have to edit the image file a bit. Lastly, Eagle3D messed up my Axon II logo on the board. It looks fine on the real board, but Eagle3D doesn't do it right. The tail from the A to the neuron is (should be) a single curved line.

i am having is understanding the schematic of the CP2102 usb controller and the caps and voltage regulator? next to it.
You lost me here, lol.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:44:38 AM »
Im glad you like it :)

Will change the button. and the VREG, i have only got 1 5V Regulator at the moment so i was working of that but yeah i see what you mean. :)

i have left the texture image on the board because i haven't had the time to edit it, also i didnt understand the USB connection, so i still need the texture for that.

about the USB + CP2102.

basically i can see where the UART lines go onto the chip, i can see where the D+ and D- go to the connector, but i dont understand the other components + connections aside the one i just mentioned.

just looking at the data sheet, it says there is a 3.3v Voltage Reg built in, and so i dont understand what the 3pin black component, just to the left of the CP2102, is.

If you want the model, just ask :)

Thanks

T

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:06:49 AM »
The 3-pin black thingy is a Schottky diode. It has two inputs:5V regulated and USB 5V.

It chooses only the higher voltage to be the output (that single 3rd pin). This output then powers the CP2102.

It basically allows the CP2102 to work whether you have only one or both power sources plugged in, and prevents two slightly different voltages from fighting each other.

When you finish up with the model, I'll link it up with credit for you. I can also host the file if you prefer.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »
Im sorry to be annoying about this, but do you have the model number of the Schottky diode?

I have studied the schematic and can only identify one of the 2 caps next to the usb, but actually the whole thing makes alot of sense :)

@Admin As soon as i have made the appropriate changes i will post the file, and if you would host it that would be brilliant :)

T

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »
Its mouser # 833-BAT54C-TP.

Get Your Ad Here