go away spammer

Author Topic: Credibility of SoR  (Read 2308 times)

Offline robots-in-brightonTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Credibility of SoR
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
I'm writing this from the perspective of a long-time lurker in the SoR forums. Like many others I have benefitted from the knowledge and expertise of the community here, and I believe it is a very important resource. I'm addressing this to "admin".

Recently a new user calling himself "azy" has been bombarding the forums with posts which are markedly different from the standard content of novice users requesting advice and assistance, and expert users providing the advice or showcasing their own work.

These posts are characterised by a number of features not present in other posts. The writing is illiterate: misspellings abound, ideas are poorly expressed or use bad grammar, the posts can be rambling or even incoherent, and littered with non-sequiturs that suggest the writer may have trouble maintaining his train of thought. The style would suggest a young, inexperienced writer for whom English is a second language.

However, "azy" claims to be an adult native Briton in his 40s with a science doctorate, a self-styled professor.

The problem with these posts is that they are diluting the validity of SoR as a credible resource for people seeking information about robotics. Already, a google search for "ASIMOV1" brings you to this forum, where this man's posts are given credence by the stature of SoR as an internet resource.

I have been doing my best to ignore the posts, but the final straw for me is this man claiming to be a programmer and the creator of artificial vision software. He posted an extract from the source code of this vision software in another forum, presumably in order to over-awe the community there with his technical prowess.

Now he's going to waste our time by claiming that this was an "early prototype" and it has been superceded by much more advanced software that he can't show us because it too long, or too messy, or it isn't quite ready, or whatever other excuses he uses to evade being exposed as a liar. The fact is that this software was never part of a vision system, prototype or otherwise, because it is so utterly naive that only a person of low intelligence or a fantasist could ever believe that it is not totally useless as a vision system. This is not the work of someone with a science doctorate.

The internet is full of people like this. Some of them are genuinely crazy, some are trolls who just enjoy annoying strangers, and some of them are fantasists who would probably be exposed in a second if you met them personally.

I can't decide if "azy" is a fantasist, or a troll, or just someone who has no clue as to his own incompetence. But whatever he is, he is an attention seeker and as long as he gets attention he will continue to post, until the forum dies because it is perceived as worthless - or he is banned.

I am not addressing this to "azy" as I do not want to be drawn down the rabbit hole into the fantasy world. I have not provided links to other forums that have been treated to the same content, because that just provides further google ranking. I am happy to provide those links privately.

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
Re: Credibility of SoR
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »
Is this the 'AI in 35TB of space' guy? Yeah he's a troll, but if Admin is anything he's for free speech, so I don't think he'll remove it even if we rally up for an internet lynching. But I am with you, his posts are as annoying and damaging as spam, and should be treated as such.

Perhaps a 'scarlet letter' style permanent signature on his posts with a disclaimer? Not the best I know, but maybe a decent compromise? Maybe a warning first to clean up his act?

EDIT, o wait, it was 27 TB, I found the old thread.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:02:59 PM by madsci1016 »

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:55:49 PM »
+1 for 'scarlet letter' or 'dunce cap' sig.
-garrett

Offline Kelpy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »
crAZY

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »
I think the reason I hadn't noticed how bad the problem got was because I learned to ignore azy ever since his 3rd post (long ranting emails signal a red flag).

Forward me links to any of his threads that defeat the purpose and spirit of this forum, and I'll remove them. I generally am not against censorship, but after seeing he had hundreds of posts like this, it was starting to get over-polluting . . .

Also, for azy and future people, feel free to directly IM them. Be courteous and sensitive (non confrontational), and if you feel the problem isn't resolved let me know. Just don't openly do this on the forum as it'll result in nasty flaming (I delete flames without second thought).

Offline robots-in-brightonTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
Thanks for that, I'm absolutely not trying to start a witchhunt but I wasn't sure if you had noticed the scale of the problem. You've given forum users the means to pass on frustrations if required and that's fine.

Now go back to making things, please.  :)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 03:16:20 PM »
Oh, and always remember the handy dandy "Report to moderator" button found on every page :P

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:10:30 AM »
Oh, and always remember the handy dandy "Report to moderator" button found on every page :P

Lol, always see that but completely forgot about it :)
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline azy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »
shoot me for being dyszlexic  ::) , apologies for and spelling

I have a creative way of looking at things & solving problems, maybe a do waffle a bit from time to time.   he without sin cast the first stone ::)

Quite how you could mistake me for an errant youngster im not sure , good job i have a sense of humor.

Ive never claimed to be a great programmer, only a great designer. And AI is my area of expertise. Im not in a position to post vast chunks of code that has commercial applications, especially code that was not written by myself. I hope you find this acceptable.

I have started an open source AZY for single PC's you are welcome to get involved

Im not afraid to take on challenging or cutting edge projects, quite the reverse, i relish the challenge.

the last time i got my hands dirty with line followers and such was back in the 80s so my ignorance of current systems is understandable. This does no deter me from building a sophisticated walking android & will not prevent me. Ill just have to dig a little deep in my areas of weakness that is all, and im no stranger to that.

I ride superbikes , play a mean heavy metal guitar , have a fleet of fast electric cars and boats, & indulge in anything that goes to 11, always have done and always will do.  I make a living doing anything from car mechanics , to accounting or website design , installing custom bathrooms and kitchens or anything else that takes my fancy and is part of my skillset.....thats the kind of person i am.

Unusual yes, but it would be boring if we were all the same wouldn't it ?

If you want to get a feel for true AI, i can recommend Tim tylers channel on you tube , he has 100 very accurate video shorts on the topic. I was planning on posting a batch of videos related to but tim has done a fantastic job of hitting the nail on the head, hes saved me the trouble. Its a broad and complex topic and his coverage is first class.

Tim Tyler: How long before superintelligence?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:34:39 PM by azy »

Offline azy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 01:29:35 PM »
robots-in-brighton

any time you want to discuss the drake equation and astro biology let me know, or perhaps you have an interest in macro economics or quantum mechanics. Feel free to discuss the carbon harmonic in stellar fusion and its impact on molecular biology.

If cosmology or Darwinian mechanisms are not you thing im sure we could find an area of shared common interest and expertise.

maybe im not as concise as some others would like, this is something i can take more care with if that is the remit of this forum. Each has its own flavor and culture. Sorry if my enthusiasm for things lead you to the wrong impression.

I hate spam myself , though i saw no real issue in posting links to my wiki and you tube account. If you visit my you tube account you will see a list of quality channels i have highlighted or linked to.

Boston Dynamics, Tim Tyler and Aiko & wondering mind to name a few.  If its not in the laws of physics im not interested in it, so your open remark on me being a fantasist or a troll requires a response.  You could have PM me and raised the issue but you did not.

Don't be too quick to judge, someone may be coming form a different angle, it doesn't mean they are crazy or wrong.

I have a very broad and deep education and i like pushing my projects to the limits that is all. Once you understand this i will seem a little less crazy, lol ....if it don't go to 11 , ill find some way to make it

I wont be posting any less , but i will , in keeping with the culture of this forum keep things a little neater

Regards A

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:43:01 PM by azy »

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »
i think what people are getting at azy is that your claims are WAY out there. i mean you said you have a working knowlege in visual basic and that C is useless and yet you're talking about AI as if it's easily developed and runs in windows. Virtualy everyone including myself has a problem believing that one man can create a human form robot especially given that your're asking on a public forum. Labs have been trying to accomplish the same thing as you are since Da Vinci and it is doubtful that you will be taken seriously. if you think you can be a Doctor Han Fastolfe then more power too you but we're skeptical. show us some real evidence that you've made a major breakthrough and we'll likely all stop criticizing you. untill then more power too you!
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline azy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »
blackbeard I like stuff that's way out there , its what interests me. Looking at what has already been achieved and figuring out a way to lay the next stone.

C is not useless , it is THE language of choice.  I just find modern IDE 's (integrated development environments) complex & restrictive when u just need to test a handful of lines of code.. Visual Basic quickly got uninstalled and i reverted to dos type basics.

It has taken me 25 years to design and write the ASIMOV1 software and it still needs work. (see my vid for brief outline). The mechatronics for the android is simple for me, the digital control systems ill have to call in outside help. So im focusing on the physical engineering side of the android for now.

Im as surprised as anyone that im the one in the lead for building a positronic brain. I had too google AI winter myself to find out why. Basically the easy money is elsewhere. Maybe it was always going to be that dedicated kid that was brought up on a diet of ASIMOV and Dr who, one who spent far too much time in the basement

Truth be told, its prolly because ive not been hamstrung by departmental budgets or meddling investors that ive been able to work in a totally free and creative environment. Taking a line out of roy castle book...dedication is what you need & Ive certainly been dedicated.  I admit there is always going to be a crisis of comprehension as i call it , regarding strong AI in general. (not just my project)  you could fake anything in a video anyway.  I need to polish my system and make it portable before i go gallivanting off to computer shows (ill need a transit van and a week to set it up)  Ive got better things to spend my money on than paying exorbitant pitch fees.

So im just feeling my way at the moment.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:08:57 PM by azy »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »
I've locked this topic to prevent my eyes from bleeding :-X

Anyway, I warned azy by PM, and he continued to post non-sense as you can see above.

So I've banned him for a week. Continued forum abuse will result in lengthier/permanent bans. :-\

Get Your Ad Here

data_list