Author Topic: Power configuration for my airsoft tank bot  (Read 1613 times)

Offline ConscriptedTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
Power configuration for my airsoft tank bot
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
Good afternoon all,

I'm working on a custom tank with an airsoft gun mounted on top. The control will be through bluetooth to my laptop. My question is about power. The motors I have are rated at 12v. I'll need to run two servo's and my $50 board as well. I'm at the point where I need to decide what batteries to use so that I can finish working out the layout.

I came across this battery http://www.all-battery.com/12v2000mahnimhbatterypackwithtabsand6voutput.aspx. It looks like it is center tapped so that I would have 6 and 12 volts available. That would work well because I could use a LDO regulator and get 5vdc for the microcontroller, and have 6volts to feed the servos.

Would this cause half of the cells in the battery pack to go dead quicker then the others? What other options do I have other then installing multiple batteries? I need 5vdc for the micro, 12vdc for the motors, and power for the servos.

Conscripted

Offline klims

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
Re: Power configuration for my airsoft tank bot
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
Personally I would get a couple of battery packs: 12 high drain for the motors with no reg and crappy regulated 5v for the servos and micro. I would recommend getting a little UBEC for the servo component so you can be sure you will be getting consistent voltages regulated at maximum efficiency.

That being said, it would be so much easier if you had some 5-6v motors so that you could run then off the same UBEC as the servos.

Get Your Ad Here