Author Topic: Waterproofing Speakers  (Read 2783 times)

Offline SylvestreTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
Waterproofing Speakers
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »
Hello,

I am building a robot that needs to operate in various harsh conditions (snow, rain, cold, etc.)  I have designed the robot so the speakers are mounted on the exterior of the robot so they will be subject to thee conditions.  I am considering placing a screen over the speaker and then spraying the screen and the speaker with  super hydrophobic compound called Neverwet.  Do you think this will work?  Will it reduce the speaker's performance significantly?
Speakers Im using- http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/GF1004/GF1004-ND/304447

Thanks

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
Re: Waterproofing Speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
Why not purchase some already waterproof speakers? There are a lot of them available for outdoor and marine applications.

Here is an example http://www.amazon.com/PLMR41B-4-Inch-Waterproof-Stereo-Speaker/dp/B001ES8X9M

Offline SylvestreTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
Grrrr >:(
I should've done that in the first place. That's what I will probably end up doing.  Thanks for the link

Offline johnwarfin

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »
you probably meant to call that water resistant, not water proof which means down to a certain depth. anyway i had very good luck just putting the speaker in a sandwich bag. virtually no effect on sound at all and you cant beat the price.

Offline Sitherus

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
ive had to waterproof speakers b4 when i did it i used a piece of plastic cut to the right size and then glued over the frame o had it mounter on then i used a water resistant seal made for patching bike tires it worked well with minimum muffle

Get Your Ad Here

data_list