Author Topic: AVR ISP MKII .. what to expect ($50 dollar question)  (Read 3900 times)

Offline dannyboy1121Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
AVR ISP MKII .. what to expect ($50 dollar question)
« on: May 28, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
As I've never used an AVR ISP II bit banger before - I could do with a quick pointer or two:

I understand that the unit should have 2 x green lights. One for the connection to the PC .. the other for the connection to the circuit?

Assuming I power the PCB -

Should the light for the PCB connection come up straight away on the AVR  (regardless of whether I'm trying to connect with Atmel studio) ?

For that matter .. should the LED come on at all prior to uploading code?

Yes .. I'm that much of a n00b.

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

• Helpful? 0
Re: AVR ISP MKII .. what to expect ($50 dollar question)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 02:35:23 AM »
Trust you've read http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/290

Nope .. I'm a complete idiot. Thanks for that. Just what the doctor ordered.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »
Hmmm .. so under closer inspection, the nice man from China who sold me the AVR ISP MKII actually sold me an AVR ISP MK2 STK500 - and it's clone hardware. I'm not sure what the STK500 part relates to and whether it means it's different.

When plugging the unit in, it adds a USB to Serial device - and another Serial device on a COM port (in device manager).

To connect to it with Atmel Studio - if I try to use AVRISP MKII + USB - connection flops. If I use STK500 and select the correct COM port, it connects. However, if I attempt to erase or program the ATMega8, it flops. I've adjusted the ISP frequency and it still flops.

I don't have a multi meter so I've been using a spare LED to check power to various parts of the board (I'm cheap I know) and I'm confident that power is reaching the pins for the AVR connection (i.e. if I touch live and ground with the LED, it lights up).

I guess I need to fork out for a multi meter and double check my wiring for the AVR pins up to the ATMega8. If anyone in the UK can recommend a MM that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, it would be appreciated.

Also - are there any checks I can do to make sure the Mega8 isn't fried?

I guess ebay was a bad place to buy the AVR - it being a clone means I can't rely on things like the LED response etc .. matching the official unit. My own fault I guess.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:27:59 AM »
Well - this is just for the record in case anyone else picks up a similar programmer (AVR ISP MK II STK500) form our friends in China!

Although I had followed the guide included with the product - I think I had already cooked my old mega8 before I got to programming!

I bought a cheap little multimeter and tested the board - all worked well. Regulated and non regulated power as expected - flowing across the circuit nicely. No unexpected connectivity or smoke :P

I replaced the mega8 ... still no luck !! .. I switched the connecting ten pin to six pin converter round that came with the programmer and wheeee everything worked. Servo hex uploaded and moved them to zero .. LED lit up (at last) etc.. - I hasten to add that I had followed their instruction in the first instance so some duff documentation there!

With regards to the STK500 device I've been using:
* There is only one green light .. not the two you would usually get with an AVR ISP MK2
* The device acts as a USB -> Serial device. In terms of AVR Studio, you're connecting using an STK500 via a COM port (I had to force mine down to a low number in device manager as it defaulted to COM 18 and I think AVR Studio only covers 9 COM ports ???) - Don't try AVR ISP MKII using USB.

Perhaps this will help someone in the long run.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list