Author Topic: Eagle cad routing help  (Read 4182 times)

Offline aruna1Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
Eagle cad routing help
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »
hi guys
I'm making a PIC development board and need your help.
i made the schematic,and kind a stuck with routing it.auto router isnt doing goodjob of routing it.
can some one give me a hand here? (this is the first time i'm using eagle cad)
i have attached relevent files here.

full file set
http://www.4shared.com/file/239458661/5211c48d/pic_board.html
I'm Me

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: Eagle cad routing help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:47:37 PM »
Try hand routing. It is much better than autorouter.

Also I took a peek at your board and you need to rearrange the components to better locations. Try to have the least crossing airwires as possible. With your current configuration even with handrouting it will be impossible
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:49:16 PM by Razor Concepts »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:32:44 PM »
Hi,

Perhaps you should do what other people do and start with something simple, getting to grips with Eagle and over time work your way up to this level of complexity.

Both the schematic and the board is loaded with errors, to begin with, don't draw wires through components and don't put junctions everywhere making it look like the target for a 12-Gauge.
Start by cleaning that up, then post anew.

Oh, and don't change the grid dimension into some strange decimal number, or you won't ever get it to route a board properly.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:35:43 PM »
Hi,

Perhaps you should do what other people do and start with something simple, getting to grips with Eagle and over time work your way up to this level of complexity.

Both the schematic and the board is loaded with errors, to begin with, don't draw wires through components and don't put junctions everywhere making it look like the target for a 12-Gauge.

Oh, and don't change the grid dimension into some strange decimal number, or you won't ever get it to route a board properly.

hi soren,is nt it necessary to put dots where component pins and wires connect?
I'm Me

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:26:45 AM »
Hi,

hi soren,is nt it necessary to put dots where component pins and wires connect?

It is not necessary. Eagle will automatically do this for you when it is needed, so you shouldnt need to use it.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:27 AM »
oh i see thanks  :)
I'm Me

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
hi i was finally able to route it (completely manually routed)
can someone take a look and point me errors?

schematic may look like hell (i couldnt find how to put jumpers so i used wire pads and resistors as jumpers)

http://www.4shared.com/file/239736865/b6e9dda3/pic_board.html
I'm Me

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 04:11:36 PM »
I still see one airwire that hasn't been routed above the crystal. Also it would be cool if you used the forum attachment system to attach the files as file sharing sites like 4shared are kind of annoying

It is a bit messy but for your first routing it is nice. You may want to go through some Eagle tutorials (sparkfun makes a great one) if you want to improve your skills.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
hi Razor Concepts

that air wire is un wanted one. i cant figured how to remove it (required conection is established in different path.if i remove that airwire it will remove other established connection also)
do you know how to put jumper wires?

anyway do you think is it possible to make this pcb using laser printer method? coz paths are very small?
thanks
I'm Me

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 08:37:16 PM »
Hi,

You place jumpers just like components, they're in a library called "jumper", sublibrary "J".
If not found => LIBRARY -> Use (and then find the library called Jumper).

Your x-tal is way too large for a modern day x-tal (the correct one is in the library "Special").

Don't let a trace go directly through a component pad, but place it so the lead will have a short trace from the "main" line to the pad. avoid sharp bends, avoid acid traps, use wider traces where space is not a restriction (your power lines are way too thin).
On the schematic, you still need junctions where 3 lines connect, but remove the extras and clean up the wires, it's impossible to read at a glance.
Proper schematic drawing dictates to keep power lines horizontal where possible, positive lines on top and ground lines at the bottom (since you're not using negative lines, which would otherwise be at the bottom). Signal flow should be from left to right where possible.
Use power connectors to get rid of interfering power lines.
connect the unused side of a potentiometer/trimmer to the wiper.

And again, I think you should practise on a much simpler circuit. A controller board is not the right way to grith your fangs.

AS it is, I am not sure whether I only see part of the circuit, as there is "loose" wires here and there, wires still going through components, some wires are double, which shows when you move them. I get an error message about inconsistency between .sch and .brd - all in all more faults than I'd care to clean up.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 09:44:08 AM »
hi soren
i had to begin with this coz this is a urgent project.dont have time to learn with small circuits.
i replaced crystals as you said
and this is my final product.

can you tell me how much distance i should put bet ween two header rows? their pads seems connected each other (between two rows) is there any way to reduce pad size of these headers?
thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:46:26 AM by aruna1 »
I'm Me

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »
Hi,

[...] and this is my final product.
I hope you're not meaning "my final project"?

can you tell me how much distance i should put bet ween two header rows? their pads seems connected each other (between two rows) is there any way to reduce pad size of these headers?
Yes, distance should be 1 module (= 1/10").
Make a copy of the library (just to be on the safe side if you Fitup) in eg. Windows Explorer, start Eagle Library Editor and change shape, size and whatever you want - a square pad will probably be the best in your case.

If you cannot take the time to learn the basics, the advanced will suffer severely!
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »
Hi,

Make a copy of the library (just to be on the safe side if you Fitup) in eg. Windows Explorer, start Eagle Library Editor and change shape, size and whatever you want - a square pad will probably be the best in your case.

If you cannot take the time to learn the basics, the advanced will suffer severely!

The pin headers he chose have long pads and cannot be spaced .1" apart because the long ends will touch.

Download the Sparkfun library and use the circular pad headers.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 10:19:54 PM »
Hi,

The pin headers he chose have long pads and cannot be spaced .1" apart because the long ends will touch.
Yes, that's where "shape" enters the equation.

Personally, I would make them with square shapes to get max. possible copper, but I guess you were adressing the OP.
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 10:22:13 PM »
Hi,

i will learn basics in future
thanks
Hi,

thanks,i'll try that
I'm Me

data_list