Author Topic: L298 Circuit  (Read 10015 times)

Offline airman00Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
L298 Circuit
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »
For those who need a sample circuit for the L298 motor driver

http://www.ikalogic.com/shm_hb_l298.php?rep=1202244445

What I did is bend the pins to fit into the breadboard like a regular IC would , I might post a pic later
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

paulstreats

Re: L298 Circuit
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »
I just bent the pins aswell for now ;D

The only thing that the diagram is missing is that the sense pins should have a resistor between them and ground (i just used a pot for now). This is to stop the motors drawing too much current through the ic. (i never used them at first until i connected a 5 amp cable supply to my bot and the motors spazzed out and the l298 started smoking)

Also it should be noted that the l298 can control 2 motors of 2A current draw. The circuit that you posted has the l298 setup to parralel the bridges to allow only 1 motor but at 4amps current draw.

The datasheet has an example circuit showing 1 of the bridges controlling a standard motor, the other examples showing control of bi-polar and uni-polar steppers. It takes 1 l298 to run 1 bipolar stepper motor. I need another l298 for the other stepper.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:50:08 PM by paulstreats »

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
Here's an l298 tut with code samples I ran across.

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »
and, naturally, i didnt post the link
http://www.learn-c.com/experiment7.htm

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »

The only thing that the diagram is missing is that the sense pins should have a resistor between them and ground (i just used a pot for now). This is to stop the motors drawing too much current through the ic. (i never used them at first until i connected a 5 amp cable supply to my bot and the motors spazzed out and the l298 started smoking)

That's  not true, you can place a resistor between a sense pin and ground, and then measure the voltage on the sense pin to calculate (Ohms law) the current the motor is using.
Or if you don't need this, you can just place the sense pin on GND.

The resistor will need to have a very low R like 1 or 0,5 Ohm, and has to be a high power resistor.
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Get Your Ad Here

data_list