go away spammer

Author Topic: Looking for retired/obsolete/wrecked combat robot  (Read 1930 times)

Offline cdubbTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Looking for retired/obsolete/wrecked combat robot
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:37:17 AM »
Hi all,

First post on here folks but its a big one. Ive wanted to get into the sport of combt robotics since i was like 9 watching BattleBots on tv, Im 19 now and maybe now I should make a go of it. Problem is i do not have the electronic skills needed to build any robot. At first i wantedto build a heavy weight with a internal combustion engine (as i have plenty of experince with them) but now days they are banned by most fighting leagues world wide and heavyweights have died out alot in resent times.
So heres my question to you fine peoples on this fourm, does anyone have or know of someone who has a combat bot they are willing to part with? Any weight, any design, any condition, any age it dont matter to me. Im sure there have to be some old robots sitting around from their glory days in the late 90's into the early 2000's gathering dust. I do realize there is alot of sentamental value to some folks as ive talked to many former competitors about buying one out of their old fleet and they could not part with their old babies which i can respect and relate too. I dont have a hell of alot of money as i just got out of EMT school and am in the process of getting my licence as a emt-basic so i can find work. Free would be awesome ;D but thats unrealistic i know but hell dont hurt to throw that out there right lol. While i will take any weight class the best fit for me would be antwight or beetle weight as i am in Michigan far from the epicenter of combat robotics in San Fransisco but im near the Ohio Robotics Club who specialize in insect weight classes. If anyone has anything at all please contact me at my email or on here. My email is [email protected] photos would be nice. Ive been lurking around here as a guest for awhile and i know theres alot of helpful and knowledgeable people on here so i feel this is my best bet for sucess in this dream of mine. I look forward to hear from you folks on here.

regards,
             cdubb

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:45:57 AM by cdubb »

Offline ofnature

• Helpful? 0
    • Space Dreams
Re: Looking for retired/obsolete/wrecked combat robot
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »
If this was really a dream of yours , it seems you should be learning to actually do it and not taking someone's completed dream in order to fake yours.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
Thanks ofnature, real big of you. My dream is to compete, ive tried building before and ive never got past the shell  because I know so little about electronics, I bet i could repair it but putting it together and making it functional is a different story. 

Offline soninja8

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:22 PM »
If this was really a dream of yours , it seems you should be learning to actually do it and not taking someone's completed dream in order to fake yours.

cdubb called us fine people....dont make a bad impression lol  ;)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:30:17 PM »
Hi,

Problem is i do not have the electronic skills needed to build any robot.
That can be acquired step by step.

I do realize there is alot of sentamental value to some folks as ive talked to many former competitors about buying one out of their old fleet and they could not part with their old babies which i can respect and relate too.
All the more reason to build your own :)

[...] so i feel this is my best bet for sucess in this dream of mine.
I have to agree with ofnature here. Whether you just want to drive it around or not, knowing each detail about it is important and you don't get that from a bought dream.
If you win... Perhaps you were just lucky getting/buying a good vehicle, so a hollow victory.
The more likely scenario for starters - you not winning - and you will rationalize it with "I got a bad one, not my fault" or something similar, at least towards yourself.

If you're responsible for each nut and bolt on this thing, it will be, if not up close, at least very personal ;D

While called a robot, combat robots are not, they're ROVers (Remote Operated Vehicles), or jazzed up R/C vehicles if you like and as such, will not take any extreme amount of electronics (which you can get help on here anyway). No programming at all is required (unless you really want to) and you claim to be mechanically adept - It sure smells like building is the right way forward for you.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »
Hi,

Problem is i do not have the electronic skills needed to build any robot.
That can be acquired step by step.

I do realize there is alot of sentamental value to some folks as ive talked to many former competitors about buying one out of their old fleet and they could not part with their old babies which i can respect and relate too.
All the more reason to build your own :)

[...] so i feel this is my best bet for sucess in this dream of mine.
I have to agree with ofnature here. Whether you just want to drive it around or not, knowing each detail about it is important and you don't get that from a bought dream.
If you win... Perhaps you were just lucky getting/buying a good vehicle, so a hollow victory.
The more likely scenario for starters - you not winning - and you will rationalize it with "I got a bad one, not my fault" or something similar, at least towards yourself.

If you're responsible for each nut and bolt on this thing, it will be, if not up close, at least very personal ;D

While called a robot, combat robots are not, they're ROVers (Remote Operated Vehicles), or jazzed up R/C vehicles if you like and as such, will not take any extreme amount of electronics (which you can get help on here anyway). No programming at all is required (unless you really want to) and you claim to be mechanically adept - It sure smells like building is the right way forward for you.

i like the way you explained yourself, ofnature just jumped all over me but the way you put things makes alot more sence .

Get Your Ad Here