Author Topic: Dog following heli  (Read 1694 times)

Offline dogheliTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Dog following heli
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »
I would like t create dog following heli (dog will have a sensor). please advise what should I have for it. may be you can give me a link to a manual  ;)

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Dog following heli
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:14:14 AM »
Hi

If You are thinking of something like mini helicopter following dog in a city or a forest while dog is roaming free, it might be very difficult to achieve, as heli would have to have 360° awareness of objects around it and follow clever algorithms to avoid them. If, however, You want dog to be followed in a football field or a park with no trees (or other objects in the way), depending on the accuracy required, You might get away with GPS chip only as a sensor and then microcontroller to gather and dispatch coordinates of the dog to the heli, and some means to transfer data (WiFi, 3G, 4G, RC, Bluetooth, etc.).
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Dog following heli
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »
I think an IR beacon on the dog, and both an IR camera and a regular camera, running IR following and image recognition, on the heli, might be a decent way to "lock on and follow."

As soon as the dog walks under a bush, or a culvert, or a carport, or similar covering, you'll likely lose lock. There's really no way around this -- helicopters shouldn't fly as low as dogs walk...

Also, what he said: If you're thinking of doing this for real, consider safety very carefully. It's all fun and games until your unattended helicopter rotor cuts into the eye of a kid or shorts out some power lines, starting a fire!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list