Author Topic: Need a more capable uC  (Read 1344 times)

Offline mstachoTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Need a more capable uC
« on: October 12, 2011, 07:40:37 AM »
Howdy all,

here's the scenario: I need to read from an array of sensors.  I'll have at least 6 arrays, probably more in the future.  I'm thinking of making an embedded circuit so that the sensors act as plug and play peripherals in a larger system.  The goal is to reduce the number of wires: sensors have 8 wires for 16 sensels in an array.  Toss this into a uC and address the uC's by I2C or something and we can reduce the number of wires substantially for the entire system.

But here's the deal: I also need to be able to do on-site preprocessing of the sensor data, that'll involve a lot of basic Multiply-Add operations and probably some division.  I'm thinking of something based off the ARM Cortex M0 or M3, and extra points go to the uC being 32 bit.

Does anyone know of a 32-bit uC that's small (ie: can be packaged in less than 1.5cm x 1.5cm, with surface mount technology, of course), capable, and preferably easy to use?

I'm looking at the ATMEL chips that use the M3 (for example, this one: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_docs.asp?category_id=163&family_id=605&subfamily_id=2127&part_id=5002).  I'm going to guess that programming this is considerably harder than programming an Axon, right?  It's not a big deal, I'll have to figure it out anyway.

So, anyone use anything that might do the trick?  I intend to make my own circuit and have the boards printed, so I don't need a ready-made solution.

MIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
Re: Need a more capable uC
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:12:55 AM »
We used one of the AT91 series chips in my last project at work. Basically you'd run linux on it and do more-or-less normal linux programming. It's a capable chip. You might want to take a look at the Atmel 32 bit forums on avrfreaks - http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=index&c=5&sid=7ded969d02c86822ff2cebce92ba8033

Joe

data_list