Author Topic: Segway RMP  (Read 2378 times)

Offline KheldrinTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Segway RMP
« on: May 30, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »
Hi, i am currently working on a project for my school that requires me to convert the Segway RMP 200 into an autonomous transportation platform. My part in this project is the sensors and stuff and, since i am very new in this area, are there anyone out there who can guide me on the placement and type of sensors to use for obstacle avoidance? I already have in mind an idea that combines sonar sensor for slightly far range proximity detection, and IR sensor forming a bumper sort of array as describe by 1 of the robot tutorial guide in this website for near range proximity detection, but i am not convinced i am on the right track.

Thanks in advance.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Segway RMP
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »
well kheldrin, it depends on how precise you want your sensors and what exactly you want them to sense. BTW: are you also doing the sensors that keep it upright? please provide a bit more info as to what you are sensing and how precise you want it.

smash
Howdy

Offline KheldrinTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:22:08 AM »
Erm.. the Segway RMP is self-balanced, so no addiitional sensors are required to keep it upright. What i need is something that will tell the RMP to stop when it finds an obstacle in it's path, the best is to be able to sense for anything obstructing within 3 meters around it so that it can react in time. As for precision, i believe if using sonar it will be possible to detect small objects the size of table legs as well right?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
This should get you started on all the basic theory:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/sensors.shtml

Get Your Ad Here