Author Topic: Suggestions on a bluetooth PC microphone?  (Read 7461 times)

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
Suggestions on a bluetooth PC microphone?
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:28:54 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions for a bluetooth or RF noise-canceling microphone I can plug into my robot's onboard laptop computer? I intent to use it for speech recognition purposes. I would like to talk to my robot without being tethered to it by a cord.

Thanks in advance!

Loren
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Offline Toymaker

• Helpful? 0
Re: Suggestions on a bluetooth PC microphone?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 02:45:49 AM »
Hi Loren

I tried bluetooth on my robot's VR, but it did not work well on my system, I think it's because bluetooth audio transmissions compress the audio and this loses speech info that the recogniser needs for correlation. I use an analogue wireless mic and get near 100% accuracy.

Your robot Nina sounds cool, have you any photo's yet?

Regards

Toymaker

Conceptioneering Ltd - Inventors of the Award winning Cube World
To see Product Innovation - visit our website at www.conceptioneering.co.uk
Conceptioneering Ltd
To see Robotic Innovation - visit our website at www.appliedmachineintelligence.co.uk

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »
Hey loren

ever thought of installing the microphone in your robot like in my Chives , no wireless mike needed .
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:11:35 PM »
Hi Toymaker. An analogue wireless mic sounds like a good investment.

I would love to post pictures of my robot, Nina, but unfortunately I have to rebuild her because the old mobile base section was never going to be strong enough to move her. It used two heavy Nickel Metal hydride packs and two windshield wiper motors, and that just wasn't going to be strong enough to support a 30+ pound robot. I'm currectly building a new, bigger base to support two wheelchair motors. Once I have something that begins to look cool, I'll gladly post some pictures of my robot.

Airman00, that also sounds like a good idea of installing the microphone directly onto the bot. One question though: Do you have much trouble to Chive's picking up too much background noise. Say there's some music playing on a radio, or the TV's on, or there are a lot of guests talking in your house. In your experience, is in harder to have your bot understand your vocal commands?

Thanks, both!

Loren
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:06:03 PM »
Noise is definitely an issue. I guess it depends what kind of environment you want your robot to  be in .

Wireless mikes is a pretty good idea for noisy enviornments
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline Toymaker

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:11:36 AM »

Airman00, that also sounds like a good idea of installing the microphone directly onto the bot. One question though: Do you have much trouble to Chive's picking up too much background noise. Say there's some music playing on a radio, or the TV's on, or there are a lot of guests talking in your house. In your experience, is in harder to have your bot understand your vocal commands?

Thanks, both!

Loren

Hi Loren

The SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) on a robot with onboard mic is awfull, it will pick up all it's own sounds and make speech control with music or TV background difficult. I did get some very good results from this though: SUPERBEAM SoundMAX Array Microphone NEW ASUS Mic which I found on Ebay. It works well cancelling all sounds except in front where the mic was directly facing, it even worked with background music! But my VR is off-robot (PC based), so a wireless mic makes more sense.

For embedded VR (like my VR Dalek), I can only give commands when the machine has stopped moving, see below:

Regards

Toymaker

Conceptioneering Ltd - Inventors of the Award winning Cube World

[youtube]X7kygMHrYq8[/youtube]
Conceptioneering Ltd
To see Robotic Innovation - visit our website at www.appliedmachineintelligence.co.uk

Get Your Ad Here