go away spammer

Author Topic: forum is chugging - apologies!  (Read 3575 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
forum is chugging - apologies!
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:57:04 AM »
My site host is apparently having serious issues, resulting in the forum working unbearable slow sometimes . . . or just not working at all . . .

My host said they are aware of the problem and are still looking into it . . .

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: forum is chugging - apologies!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 11:15:03 PM »
I was surfin the forums and such and all the sudden the site went down! I started to cry and ran into my comfort corner, assumed the fetal position, and rocked back and forth until it came back up. I dont think I can handle that sort of stress again!

.... ok obviously im lying... I wasnt crying THAT hard...

lol, seriously though, I was kinda concerned about it. I was worried that the server might rollback... I was part of a forum once that had a 2 month rollback! Apparently they had some automated nightly backup script running that for some reason stopped working without anyone noticing... until of course it was too late... that was NOT pleasant lol
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 08:32:08 AM »
Hmmmm I was always wanting an automated backup . . . this had not occured to me that it could fail . . .

I back the forum up manually once every week or two . . . and backup my backups monthly on a seperate HD . . . and yearly on a CD's . . . I need to take this more seriously from now on . . .

I actually rolled this forum back . . . about 5 minutes . . . I literally backed up 5 minutes before the crash! What luck . . . rolling back didn't fix it though, it was a .php file that got corrupted, but it did manage to reset everyone's auto-login . . .

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 05:34:34 PM »
yes a rollback is very frustrating as a user. And also the new users will find less info...
I've never heard of an automated backup system that crashed, so I think/hope this is not that common.
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 10:52:05 PM »
Well it wasnt a very well written one. Some guy that the admin for that forum knew from the forums said he could make one and the administrator agreed to it. Unfortunately the admin didnt know that the kid didnt actually know much programming outside of writing little scripts for the game that the forum was started for... Thats what caused the backup system thingy to fail.
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Get Your Ad Here