go away spammer

Author Topic: The Roach Mobile  (Read 3810 times)

Offline krichTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
The Roach Mobile
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:23:07 AM »
A "bristle bot" that my daughter and I made.  Its based on the tiny bristlebot tutorial video we saw on YouTube made by www.evilmadscientist.com.  Kudos to them on a great idea.

The only vibrating motor we could find was out of an old Xbox controller.  It was too big to mount on a single toothbrush head, so we created a tripod out of three toothbrush heads and some cardboard.

It works great and really moves fast!  With some additional work, I think I can gain some sort of control over it either RC or autonomous.  Definitely a candidate for fuzzy logic and maybe the optical flow sensor I'm working on.   ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE7yhWaZ2G4[/youtube]

paulstreats

Re: The Roach Mobile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »
Hey, Nice idea.

Do you think you can gain directional control be rotating the brush heads.

ps. a place to find small vibrating motors is in old cell phones

Offline krichTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »
Hmm...I hadn't thought of that one.  I had thought of (or ripped off) the following ideas:

1)  Rather than a triangle shape, create a diamond shape with four heads.  Make the front and back heads riased a bit more than the ones on the sides so that only three heads contact the ground at any given time.  Use a servo to shift a weight to the side that you want to turn.  The three heads in contact with the surface (hopefully) will make the bot turn.

2)  Four heads in a square pattern, two on the left and two on the right.  Two pager motors, one on the right, one on the left.  Control the speed of the left/right pager motors to hopefully steer the bot.  This came from someone in my last post about bristle bots in the mechanics section of this forum.

3)  Use 2, 3, or 4 heads.  Affix legs on each side with rubber tips.  Control whether they touch the ground via servo (heavy!).  Steering similar to steering a sled with your feet down a hill.

Also considering a boost in scale because my circuits are as large as my skill is small.  Maybe using hair brushes or hand brooms.

Other ideas?

Ken.

Offline DomoArigato

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:39:26 PM »
Thats really cool.  It moves a lot faster than I thought it would, and there's no gearing.

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:27:29 AM »
Thats really cool.  It moves a lot faster than I thought it would, and there's no gearing.

of course there isn't it ust vibates
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:09:06 AM »
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:11:05 AM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

paulstreats

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:50:09 AM »
There was a topic not long ago going over bristle type bots. If i remember the reason that toothbrush heads move in 1 direction is because the bristle ends are angled, so 1 servo in the center connected in some way to turn all heads at once would allow more controllable directional travel

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots

Get Your Ad Here

data_list