Author Topic: Panasonic camcoder ir remote protocol  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Fr0stAngelTopic starter

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
Panasonic camcoder ir remote protocol
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
hi...i am currently working on home automation project using IR remote...i've had success so far, but the problem is that i worked on philips tv remote...i also happen to have a panasonic camcoder remote as shown in the link..

http://www.vcrremotecontrols.com/Mfrs/Panasonic/MscCamcorder/VSQW0038.htm

this one is so much smaller and handy that i wanted to shift my code on it.I'm using ATMEL AT89S52 for the decoding and programming. The problem is that i donot know the protocol on which this camcoder remote works..!
can anyone help me regarding the IR protocol (i.e address, or command bits etc) of panasonic camcoder remotes??
Thanks! :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 02:58:34 PM by Fr0stAngel »
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Panasonic camcoder ir remote protocol help!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:02:59 PM »
Hi,

The problem is that i donot know the protocol on which this camcoder remote works..!
can anyone help me regarding the IR protocol (i.e address, or command bits etc) of panasonic camcoder remotes??
Too bad Google's broken... Oh, it isn't, you were just lazy ;)
Try the first link for starters.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 03:19:30 AM »
i've already searched whole of go0gle... (or most of it  ???)..and yes i had that page bookmarked too, but it shows the 'old panasonic protocol'....from what i know there are three panasonic protocols , the 'old' , panasonic1, and panasonic2. as far as i know the 'old' one works for tvs.....
well, better start programming my controller to work according to old protocol,  i was thinking of skipping the address bit and only capturing the  control bits.....lets see what that'll do. :-\
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's one more issue.....the remote seems to send a small burst of output when i keep the button pressed, instead of a continuous stream...its making the decoding a bit difficult...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:51:40 AM by Fr0stAngel »

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:35:31 AM »
Start with code that reads the bit stream from the remote that outputs over the UART to your PC. Then you can decode the stream with help from the links you found.
check this link:
http://www.vecoven.com/elec/ir/ir.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:35:18 AM by waltr »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »
Hi,

[...] it shows the 'old panasonic protocol'....from what i know there are three panasonic protocols , the 'old' , panasonic1, and panasonic2.
Do you at least know the frequency?
Do you have a device using this protocol, or did you just get the remote for its pocketable size?

There's one more issue.....the remote seems to send a small burst of output when i keep the button pressed, instead of a continuous stream...its making the decoding a bit difficult...
I'm not too familiar with the Panasonics and I may be confusing it with another protocol, but I guess it's one of the following 3 possibilities: Either it's the same code inverted every other transmission, the same code with different start bit(s) (not the AGC adjust bits), or a simpler "repeating the last code" command (which could be the same for each repeating key).
A logic state analyzer or at least a 'scope would tell you, but since you ask, you probably don't have either.

If you have a gizmo it can control, or just a receiver (or even a photodiode and a transistor amplifier), make a sampling program (preferably of the compression type), sample all the commands with and without repeat keys and perhaps another program to analyze and group the results. It should be a brief job with such small remote - I used that method to decode the B&O (455kHz!) IR remote protocol some ten years ago via the game port on an old '386 in an afternoon (and we're talking hundreds of codes here).

If you just wanna use the buttons on the remote and have no plans of changing to a larger set of buttons, just look at what differs between the codes and use that (=less overhead).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 02:58:08 PM »
hi,
it turned out that all i needed was this:
http://www.ostan.cz/IR_protocol_analyzer/

its a software that shows you the IR output of any remote control, via your sound card  :D
and the hardware is easy to implement too.
so, based on this, one of my mini remotes uses a protocol similar to NECS-80, so i'm currently working on software decoding for it.
i'll post the circuit and the code once i'm completely done with it.

regards.
   M!

Get Your Ad Here