Author Topic: Robot to climb walls?  (Read 4259 times)

Offline jianleTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Robot to climb walls?
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:47:15 AM »
Hi I need help for a uni project. I need to make a robot/vehicle that moves straight for 4.8metres and climbs up 2 6.5cm high and 4.2cm thick walls.

I have little knowledge on these stuff so please give some suggestions. Thanks

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: Robot to climb walls?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 11:07:29 AM »
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline jianleTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 05:14:15 AM »
yea.. but mine can't be RC-ed and actually it has to carry and deposit stuff too but the only trouble I'm facing with is the going straight and up the walls part. *sighs*

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 06:17:15 AM »
Well, that robot that Admin built probably could be autonomous with the right on-board electronics.

Going in a straight line was discussed in a thread here a couple weeks ago. The only real issue with climbing the walls with a design like that is having the robot align itself with the wall. Seems to me a couple good analog distance sensors (like the Sharp GP2D12) mounted on each side of the robot, facing forwards, would help in aligning the robot with a wall.

- Jon

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 04:41:53 PM »
The only real issue with climbing the walls with a design like that is having the robot align itself with the wall.
To an extent I found the robot almost self aligning itself to the wall - it wouldnt climb until both front wheels contacted the wall. So with the sharp IR that JonHylands mentioned that shouldnt be too hard.

I actually found the hardest part going back down the wall. If I wasnt careful driving it, the robot would flip over when it went over the other side. The first prototype often flipped because of a poor design and my not-yet-practiced driving skills.

I guess the point of this is, try to design it so it has passive mechanical stability (wide base with weight kept low to the ground).

data_list