Author Topic: First Time Building from scratch, building arduino controlled robotic arm  (Read 2211 times)

Offline skepticalmalamuteTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I was wondering what materials I should use to build the chassis of the arm. I don't have any metal or woodworking tools.

Offline artbyrobot1

• Helpful? 2
    • www.artbyrobot.com
I'd recommend doing what I'm doing - use modeling clay to sculpt parts, then coat the clay in either thread or cloth dipped in glue to form a hard shell.  You can cut the shell in half to remove the clay after and then glue it back together or leave the clay inside if you don't care about the weight.

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
 Hello!
I would build upon what artbyrobot1 said;
You can make your chassis with fiberglass, cheaply. Light as a feather, stronger than steel,
the result is amazing. Check out Instructables site; it has the steps for this. Good Luck!!  ;) :) :D ;D

Offline artbyrobot1

• Helpful? 2
    • www.artbyrobot.com
Yep fiberglass cloth can usually be found in the car section of walmart or stores like it right next to the bondo.  Also, for the resin, stay away from polyester resin or w/e just buy the double syringe looking toothpaste tube size epoxy from any hardware store to use as the resin.

Offline cyberjeff

• Helpful? 7
I'd recommend doing what I'm doing - use modeling clay to sculpt parts, then coat the clay in either thread or cloth dipped in glue to form a hard shell.  You can cut the shell in half to remove the clay after and then glue it back together or leave the clay inside if you don't care about the weight.

An interesting idea. You may be able to wash out the clay.

On a related note you may wish to try either burlap (for reinforced strength) or cheesecloth (for details)

Get Your Ad Here