Author Topic: Book Question  (Read 2639 times)

Offline visualPerceptionTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Book Question
« on: January 05, 2008, 03:33:18 AM »

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
Re: Book Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »
hi visualPerception:
have you read it or are just thinking about buying it?

it has an interesting title but i was a little disappointed by the contents page.
it appears to be instructions on how to build a particular robot rather than information on different ways of using Linux in robotics.
in the online chapter for example there is nothing on embedded Linux or using a remote Linux server to control drones which are (arguably) both more common uses of Linux in robotics in the RealWorld (tm).

i'd say it would be a good buy for any one who wants to put an x86 motherboard on a robot and is happy with the design choices of the author.

i'd be interested to see some of the later chapters to see how much detail there is there, particularly the Vision and Mapping chapters.

dunk.

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:17:23 AM »
Dunk, I have this book. I was dissapointed by the content as well. Especially by the vision system. It uses an AVRcam instead of a webcam. The book gives the reader a "recipe" on how to build a robot using a Mini ITX motherboard and a Gentoo Linux operating system and Java programs. Take a look at the code here: http://enerd.ws/robots/code/.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline visualPerceptionTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »
To answer your question, I don't have the book. Just finding out what peoples opinion of it are.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list