Author Topic: Laser Safety  (Read 3337 times)

Offline TrickyNekroTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
Laser Safety
« on: January 07, 2008, 07:37:35 AM »
I recently tried to build a nice laser beam from a DVD player (only player not writer)...
I tried to find out if it was working (the diode) and I stared the beam a little while wearing sunglasses for protection but I only did see a dead red... but I was have seen it with naked eye for a sec or two...
Also the beam wasn't able to produce any heat when pointed to some white paper...

Is it possible that this was an IR laser and now have any health problem??? (I still can see perfectly - no worries!!!)
The unfortunate is that I burned the diode mistakenly so I can't see if it was an IR laser... (using a CMOS camera)!!!

Also the diode had the DVD lens on it not the whole set... just it's protective lens...

So I ask again if it is possible to have any health problems... (I'm still young to loose my sight x( )

Thanks in advance,
Lefteris, Greece
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
Re: Laser Safety
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »
Have you chekced wikipedia? it's bound to be on there somewhere...
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »
so i would not be too concerned if you can still see fine.
laser damage to your eyes tends to build up over time.

DVD lasers are very different to laser pointers. the beam is far narrower.
even if you did manage to scar your retina, the diameter of one of those lasers would be very small, resulting in very thin scars.
as a result you would not notice the scaring.

this is why fine lasers are so dangerous to your eye sight over prolonged periods as people don't tend to notice their eye sight getting worse.
lasers outside the visible range are particularly dangerous as you have no blink reflex to light you cannot see.

a little bit of damage on one occasion should not cause any real problems though.

dunk.

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 09:52:59 AM »
so i would not be too concerned if you can still see fine.
laser damage to your eyes tends to build up over time.

DVD lasers are very different to laser pointers. the beam is far narrower.
even if you did manage to scar your retina, the diameter of one of those lasers would be very small, resulting in very thin scars.
as a result you would not notice the scaring.

this is why fine lasers are so dangerous to your eye sight over prolonged periods as people don't tend to notice their eye sight getting worse.
lasers outside the visible range are particularly dangerous as you have no blink reflex to light you cannot see.

a little bit of damage on one occasion should not cause any real problems though.

dunk.

So you mean the more time I point it to me the more the damage...
Ok I was wearing sunglasses and glasses for sight fixxing too (I can;t see far... who do you call it) if they were help any... And the laser was like a very very small red dot...
So I think I should be just fine!!! Thanks for the info anyways...
Note that the diode was quite underpowered connected with series with a 220Ω resistor and +5V giving it 20mA or less (maybe still enough??)

Anyways i was a little scared but If I don't have a problem it's ok...

Thanks for all the answers guys!!!
Top Regards...
That means it was working in the same current pointer work so still ok...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »
IR laser? You should use a camera to see it.

And when working with lasers, you should use polarized shades that are designed for the light you are working with. 8)

Those who stare at lasers too often see 'holes' in their vision . . .

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »
I have no problem with my vision so far... and I heared that laser damage is instant...
I'm fine... I see no holes no blur and the contacts are no problem so... I'm fine... just next time I should be more careful...

Admin why don't we raise a topic about safety generally so such incidents are avoided by others...

Thanks for the help again guys and for the support ( :D)

Happy roboting and keep it safe!!!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 01:33:15 PM »
Admin why don't we raise a topic about safety generally so such incidents are avoided by others...
Its been suggested before. I make it a point to bring up safety concerns when needed in my tutorials . . .

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 03:47:51 PM »
I recently tried to build a nice laser beam from a DVD player (only player not writer)...
I tried to find out if it was working (the diode) and I stared the beam a little while wearing sunglasses for protection but I only did see a dead red... but I was have seen it with naked eye for a sec or two...
Also the beam wasn't able to produce any heat when pointed to some white paper...

Is it possible that this was an IR laser and now have any health problem??? (I still can see perfectly - no worries!!!)
The unfortunate is that I burned the diode mistakenly so I can't see if it was an IR laser... (using a CMOS camera)!!!

Also the diode had the DVD lens on it not the whole set... just it's protective lens...

So I ask again if it is possible to have any health problems... (I'm still young to loose my sight x( )

Thanks in advance,
Lefteris, Greece
i hate you.  :D
 i just took a laser i got from a dvd player and as far as i knew it did a red light that fanned out. i just took my camera to it and it's infared. and while checking it my head started hurtning, while before I'e looked at it alot and it didnt hurt
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »

On this Dutch electronics forum I am a member on, there is a big topic called "wounded in battle" or something, where people show their injuries they got from working on elctronics...
Nothing serious though, it just for fun... you see alot of small burning wounds from soldering etc.  :D
It really fun though, maybe we should start one here?

edit:
As a matter of fact, I just started it here: http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=2789.0 :P
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:13:45 PM by Rebelgium »
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net