go away spammer

Author Topic: sorry for this post, need help again ArcMan [SOLVED]  (Read 3415 times)

Offline want2learnTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
sorry for this post, need help again ArcMan [SOLVED]
« on: November 18, 2008, 02:05:04 PM »
I've been reading through a lot of posts trying to learn more without asking silly questions.
The time has now arrived where one has cropped up; so as the title says "I.m Sorry".

I want to learn C and C++ (in that order), my problem is that i want to do this while i'm at work (i dont get too much free time and when i do i tend to spend it with my kids). I have no internet access at work and will be using an old laptop to do the tutorials on.

Is there a way to download internet pages and transfer them to my laptop so i can run through tutorials while offline.

Thanks in advance
  Jim

I Should probably add: i dont want to print off a tree worth of stuff, hence the downloading
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 01:59:53 PM by want2learn »
The question that drives me hazy:

Am I, or the others crazy?

Offline mnrobo

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: sorry for this post
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 06:39:48 PM »
If you have a flash drive, the simplest solution I can think of is to copy and paste the text into a word document and put it on the flash drive.  I'm not sure from your description if the tutorials are just text/pics or not, tho (i.e. if it has more interactive elements to it).

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:40:57 PM »
Sorry,
The tutorials are text based. I've tried the copy and paste into word. The sections of program end up looking like the rest of the text which after a couple of pages became a bit confusing. Just looking for an easier way
Thanks
  Jim

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:40:59 AM »
Is there a way to download internet pages and transfer them to my laptop so i can run through tutorials while offline.

Thanks in advance
  Jim

I Should probably add: i dont want to print off a tree worth of stuff, hence the downloading

There's a very good way to do this, and it's all free.  Get HTTrack Website Copier.  It will crawl a website and download files.  Then use Microsoft Help Compiler to select the portion of the website you want and compile it into a single .CHM file.  Take the .CHM file to work and double-click it.  Viola!  The whole website (or portion of the website) is there with links, graphics and everything.  It's a beautiful thang.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
Re: sorry for this post, need help ArcMan
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 02:46:42 PM »
hi ArcMan,
Thanks for the info, what a program.
I installed HTTrack website copier, must have downloaded half the internet before i figured out what i was doing.
Anyway i got the site(s) i was after. I opened Microsoft Help Compiler ( a Command line help utility according to the description) and all i got was a small window which seemed to run through a short program before closing again. I've tried several ways to open the program with the same result each time. The program runs so fast i cant tell you what it is, says or is doing. I tried to download a different version and install it but at the final stage i keep getting a 'you have a newer version already installed' message.
As this is a system 32 file i'm not keen on deleting it to install a different version.
Am i doing something wrong or is there something i've missed.
Thanks again for the info already provided.
Jim

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
Re: sorry for this post, need help again ArcMan
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 02:56:40 PM »
I was probably too general when I said Microsoft Help Compiler.  I believe what you need is the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&displaylang=en

Let me know if this works for you.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
Should've probably mentioned this computer is running vista, I tried the link and download but again i got the ' you have a newer version already installed ' message.
I tried the version i have installed and no matter which page i try to compile i keep getting a ' no items match your search ' message. I'm sure i'm missing something, i just dont know what.

p.s the laptop i'll be transfering the pages to is ancient. It's running windoze 95 (Although i'm looking at installing Damn Small Linux).
Sorry for being a burden
Jim

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 09:31:53 AM »
hi again,
I still can't get anywhere with this. I have tried to open the wtth files with various programs running on windoze 95,xp & vista, ubuntu and damn small linux.
I have tried several ways to compile the wtth files with  HTML HELP WORKSHOP again to no avail. The only success i have had is when connected to the net with IE, the site opened. I tried with MOZILLA and AOL but in these instances was unsuccesful.
Jim

Offline szhang

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
    • szhang.net
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »
To run command line programs you need to open command prompt and type in the command with the proper arguments.  You don't need to compile the website in CHM, though you'll just have a bunch of loose HTML files in the site folder.  You should be able to open the html files (the files that end in .htm, .html) in any browser.

I usually don't recomment books, but books in this case might be useful.  You don't even have to buy it if you don't really want, your local library should have some.  In any case, I like to have books for quick reference anyways.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 01:59:11 PM »
Yep, got it figured out now>
I needed to open the index file, not the whtt file(s)
Feeling pretty clever at the moment (read as red faced).
THANKS TO ALL FOR THE ADVICE, ESPECIALLY ArcMan
Jim

Get Your Ad Here