Author Topic: 1/8 inch diamter heat shrink tubing (Inner Vs. Outer Diameter)  (Read 2036 times)

Offline ksquaredTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
1/8 inch heat shrink tubing is something my book calls for.  Alas, on Digi-key, the Diameter options are:

*Inner Diameter - Recovered
*Inner Diameter - Supplied

Is "Recovered" how far it shrinks, or what?

Thanks. 

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: 1/8 inch diamter heat shrink tubing (Inner Vs. Outer Diameter)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:14:04 AM »
Hi,

I only see one diameter on Digi-Key, do you have a link to the one you've found?
Never the less, "Supplied" should be the larger measure and "recovered" (strange term, but reasonable when you think about how it's made) should be the lesser diameter.

The cheapest heat shrink tubing usually shrinks to about half the diameter of the unshrinked tube and some of the best stuff shrinks to 1/3 the diameter.

If the "recovered" measure is within these limits (1/3 to 1/2) you can count on it as being the shrinked (minimum size).

Btw. Some people use it with a tight fit before being shrunk, which makes it rather weak - using a size that can just shrink to the needed size makes it stronger with a thicker wall and gives a much higher structural strength.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline ksquaredTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: 1/8 inch diamter heat shrink tubing (Inner Vs. Outer Diameter)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=1704112&keywords=heat%20shrink

And yes, odd. When I type in "tube" it says "Heat Shrink Tubing (7 items)"
When I type in "heat shrink" it says " Heat Shrink Tubing (1,712 items) " and gives the link above.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:34:52 AM by ksquared »