Author Topic: My copy of Admin's ERP  (Read 4540 times)

Offline KelpyTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
My copy of Admin's ERP
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:06:28 AM »
I started in this hobby about 6 months ago, and have built various different simple robots - photovore, line follower, object avoider etc, and always seem to have to build a new chassis from the ground up.
I have decided that I need a platform which can be adapted to all sorts of different "experiments", not least video object recognition.
Having read all about Admin's ERP through it's development, it made sense to me to use his design, which is tried and tested, and make my own ERP.
I don't have the luxury of CNC or machine tools etc, so it will all have to be done using hacksaw and dremel.
I have bought a small  offcut sheet of 6mm HDPE, and will be using this for all the main components of the chassis.
I have made the main chassis, and have fitted 2 continuous rotation servos to it so far, together with a couple of wheels from a child's truck. (No way would I be able to make Admin's wheels using my hand tools - and skill - lack of  :( )
We'll see how it goes ;)
Here's a picture of it so far.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:43:18 AM by Kelpy »

Offline Fr0stAngel

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
Re: My copy of Admin's ERP
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »
shhhhh...!don't tell admin, i was planning the same thing...!  :D
Good Luck with yours .. ;)
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
I'm definitely following this thread! ;D

Remember, if you have four wheels, you need some form of suspension. There are many ways to do it, mine was just a fancy experiment :P

as a reference to anyone else, the designs are completely open sourced here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_ERP.shtml#opensource

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 01:19:55 AM »
shhhhh...!don't tell admin, i was planning the same thing...!  :D
Good Luck with yours .. ;)

Thanks, Fr0stAngel. Feel free to hijack this thread for yours, if you want :)

Remember, if you have four wheels, you need some form of suspension. There are many ways to do it, mine was just a fancy experiment :P

I am currently trying to cut out the front wheel supports, as per your design, so it will have some suspension on the front. Bit fiddly though, doing by hand.

By the way, Admin, I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to post this "build" thread on another site, as well, LetsMakeRobots. It will get more exposure and hopefully it will encourage more people, especially youngsters, to follow your lead and get involved in robotics.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:02:50 AM by Kelpy »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:45:30 AM »
Found some standoffs about the right length, for the AxonII and the 2nd tier.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:33:38 AM by Kelpy »

Offline raptorwes

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:26:08 PM »
Looks good. Keep it up! I have been thinking about making something similar.
2 questions though
First, I notice some people mount their servos above the bottom plate and others below. Is one way better than the other?
Second, why if you have 4 wheels do you need a suspension, how is it any different than a 3 wheel robot?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
First, I notice some people mount their servos above the bottom plate and others below. Is one way better than the other?
Keeping weight low helps with balance, especially when the arms are swinging around.

Keeping weight higher lets your robot go over larger objects when driving around.

Second, why if you have 4 wheels do you need a suspension, how is it any different than a 3 wheel robot?
Three points are guaranteed to be on the same plane, whereas four points are not. If you have four wheels without suspension, and the ground isn't 100% perfectly flat, one wheel will be off the ground. This means a wheel will spin without anything happening, and your robot will rock back and forth.

Offline raptorwes

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 07:34:46 AM »
Oh, ok that makes sense

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:16:41 AM »
After a bit of a struggle, I have managed to cut out the front suspension/wheel supports. There is no way I would have been able to make the axles out of HDPE, but I found some 8mm aluminium tube in my shed. The chrome hubs are in fact left over from when I used to repair prams and buggies (20 odd years ago - I don't throw anything away) :D

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:19:43 AM by Kelpy »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
Hi,

(20 odd years ago - I don't throw anything away) :D
Yeah, that's a curse we all bear... According to our slightly disapproving GF's/Wifes  ;D

Why not stick to a single wheel in front? (especially when considering the price on omni's).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »

Why not stick to a single wheel in front? (especially when considering the price on omni's).

I can actually see the sense in having this set-up, with 2 arms and the possible weight they may carry. If only one wheel was used, there may be a tendency to tip. (But who am I to say - I'm just copying Admin's design  ;) )

Offline Fr0stAngel

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »
Thanks, Fr0stAngel. Feel free to hijack this thread for yours, if you want :)

Thanks , but i'm really in the design phase right now. And i am deficit on budget ( cant really afford an axon right now :(), so i'm designing my own cheapo board using the basic AT89S52.  plus ill probably be going for a three wheel setup. i was thinking of an omni base, but then again  $$ ( i think my craving for robotics will compel me to get a job soon  ::))

I'll be following your work keenly , but just a thought that it might be better if you could modify your first post every time you update about your ERP, ( with day or a timeline), that way it would be all together and easy for newer readers to follow...... but that's just me..

one question though, any idea about the approximate weight of the final thing?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:50:23 PM by Fr0stAngel »
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 03:26:10 AM »
I'm not sure about the final weight yet, Fr0stAngel, haven't got all the stuff for it yet.

Anyway, yesterday, I cut out the 2nd tier, and the mounting blocks for the 2nd set of shoulder servos. Assembled them this morning.

The bad news is I've got to cut out the arms, now. That'll take a while ;)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:17:39 AM »
wow :o

I really like the way you did the axle things, too. I might just copy it on my next ERP upgrade ::)

Also of note, don't bother with that clear plastic sheet that goes above the Axon. There is soooo much servo wiring I can't even close it any more. My recommendation is to make a square plastic sheet, and velcro it over the location of the Axon. Don't bother with the hinge like I did, it didn't work out so well.

I tried that on an earlier version, but the problem was it couldn't stop from almost tipping over with the arms swinging all over.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 05:16:34 AM »
Made and fitted the upper arm sections.
I have also tested it with a RC setup, to make sure it actually works  ;)

[youtube=425,350]c0c-xlHXPOc[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:32:33 PM by Kelpy »

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 07:11:48 AM »
Awesome bot! I'm following here and on LMR. Excellent credit to SOR and link ins from LMR as well. Admin will be proud =)
-garrett

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »
Beautiful! And is powered by WebbotLib! Cool!
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 03:11:41 AM »
I've managed to find time to complete the arms and claws.
I have modified Admin's design for one claw, so that it operates in the horizontal plane. My thoughts are, that with the 2 different actions, they should be able to pick up different shaped objects.

I have to say, I find HDPE very difficult to bond, and have tried all sorts of glues, without success. In the end, where I have rotated the right-hand arm through 90deg, I've had to fix it in place using my soldering iron  ;)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 05:50:21 AM »
I have to say, I find HDPE very difficult to bond, and have tried all sorts of glues, without success. In the end, where I have rotated the right-hand arm through 90deg, I've had to fix it in place using my soldering iron  ;)
LOL
You should use two 90deg brackets.

How'd you cut those claws out? Very nice job!

I'm pretty excited because now we can even share code, as anything you develop I can steal use on mine :D

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »
Hi Admin.
I did consider making a couple of brackets, but thought that may look too bulky.
How'd you cut those claws out? Very nice job!

They don't look so good close up. They were cut with a hacksaw, drill, and Dremel grinder

I'm pretty excited because now we can even share code, as anything you develop I can steal use on mine :D

Fat chance of that  :) I find C very hard to grasp, and can only just about use some of yours (or Webbot Designer), modified to what I want  ::)

paulstreats

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
I started in this hobby about 6 months ago

Well done, considering that you have only been working with robotics for 6 months, you seem to have a "knack" for structural design.

The robot is looking great, it would be good to have somebody like yourslef to help and advise in the mechanics department on this forum.

Just out of interest, how much weight are your ERP arms capable of lifting, and is there any point where weight can affect the stability of the robot?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 03:04:45 AM »
I haven't actually done the maths to calculate the lifting ability, but I know they can lift a plastic bottle weighing 200 grams without strain.
It really depends on what servos you use, and as funds were tight, I have not gone overboard with the servos. I did roughly calculate in my head beforehand which ones would be sufficient to lift a tennis ball or a small can.
Admin has conveniently made a calculator for us  here
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_arm_calculator.shtml
As for stability, I have not yet had chance to get that far, but I suspect the weight the arms would lift, would not get anywhere near heavy enough to affect it. No doubt Admin will shed more light on that.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 06:21:01 AM »
paulstreats, he actually just copied the designs I put up (which has measurements for everything).

As for stability . . . its not just the weight of objects picked up, but also dynamics as well (ie picking something up fast vs slow). Mine hasn't fallen over yet, but I can probably get it to happen if I try in certain situations . . .

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »
updates?

Get Your Ad Here