Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Looking for an inexpensive High Torque DC Motor

<< < (2/3) > >>

annoyin_kid:
why not use a servo. and if u need continous rotation modify the servo so it does that.

robot321:
"why not use a servo."

Price.. Maybe I'm wrong.   Show me some numbers.

Admin:

--- Quote ---Is motor/gearbox with nice torque/mA numbers in the <$35 a pipe dream?
--- End quote ---
Its a pipe dream if you want to buy a high quality new motor. Its definitely doable if you spend weeks/months bargain hunting for used scrap parts and are willing to settle for less . . .

Most of those motors in the links I gave are overkill for what you want, but are only slightly overpriced. The lowest reasonable price you will ever get for a motor you describe would be $80+.

What torque is your absolute minimum required?
(if you are not sure how to calculate it, go here: http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_arm_tutorial.shtml#joint_force)

You might also want to consider using a worm gear . . . its slow, but allows you to buy a cheaper motor.

--- Quote ---"why not use a servo."

--- End quote ---
As for servos, if they can handle the torque, use them. For what you get, they are very affordable. Dont forget they include the price of feedback control, motor control circuitry, encoders/pots, and everything else you would otherwise need to pay for with a regular DC motor.

annoyin_kid:

--- Quote from: robot321 on February 07, 2007, 11:46:16 AM ---"why not use a servo."

--- End quote ---
yea wot admin said ;D ;D

robot321:
What Nyx suggested has a worm gear drive.

feedback control, motor control circuitry, encoders/pots can be implemented with a few dollars on parts.

I guess its time invested vs. money.

Or a guess I could get a really strong motor pay extra money and use it to drive multiple pathways.  TOMY was great @ implementing this back in the day. I just hate having 1 point of failure.  And it complicates design.

Thank you all for your input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version