Author Topic: which CAD/CAM software is better.  (Read 1845 times)

Offline DanialTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
    • robotics friends of shahrood university of tecnology
which CAD/CAM software is better.
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:29:36 AM »
I'm a robotics engineering student.to design mechanical parts I was working with Catia since I found Solidworks much easier to sketch.I heard Pro Engineering is also popular so I'm really confused to work with which of them. ???
would anyone help me choose the most useful CAD/CAM software and compare their features.

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: which CAD/CAM software is better.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:33:38 AM »
I find SolidWorks really powerful and easy to use, therefore I stick to it.

It does not really matter which software package You use as long as You can achieve what You want to achieve.
Both, SolidWorks and Pro Engineer, are widely recognised and used in industry; usually employer requires potential employee to know either of them, unless company is strictly using only one brand (be aware that there are quite a few companies who use AutoCAD or Inventor, etc). All in all, all these packages are similar in one way or another, if You are good with one it will not be a big problem to learn the other.

When I started all CAD stuff I've found SolidWorks very straightforward and intuitive, therefore I vote for SW.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »
I second solidworks.  I  have used auto, cadra, and some other software but nothing compares to solidworks.  I've been using solidworks for close to 5 years now in both school and work.  If you are a student you can get a educational version of solidworks for around $100 which is a killer deal and the copy that i currently own.  http://www.creationengine.com/html/p.lasso?p=17534

here is a car i designed and rendered in SW over christmas break
Core Car Designed In Solidworks

i have designed a whole bunch of robots in SW.  i can post some pics if you need convincing ;)

Offline VegaObscura

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:18:06 PM »
I'd love to see these pics.

Offline DanialTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
    • robotics friends of shahrood university of tecnology
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
Thanks for your help guys.
The car you designed is perfect BANE,I'm interested to see your robots.   

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »
Thanks for your help guys.
No problem at all  ;)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
i cant seem to post all the pics here due to size limit.  lemme see if i can up load them to facebook and make the album public.  I think all make two albums, one for robots (solidworks model pics and finished robot pics) and another with just random cool pics of things ive made in SW.  Ill post a link here

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »
finally found and uploaded a bunch of photos

first album is "Solidworks Robot Gallery" which has just pics of robots and robot related thing designed in solidworks
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=278066&id=648448752&l=fc1a8d9c93
second album "Robot Photo Gallery" which is real pics of robots ive built from now since about 2003
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=278058&id=648448752&l=3f8a1871ea
third album is "Solidworks Photoworks Gallery" which as a bunch of random cool things designed in SW
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=278065&id=648448752&l=bf4120aeed

this is only the pic i could find on my old hard drive and new labtop, i know i have a bunch more somewhere :P
its kinda cool seeing one of my very first robot made of random crap and hot glue to CNC machined stuff :D

Let me know what you guys think
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:02:51 PM by BANE »

Offline klims

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 01:36:50 AM »
Daniel: I know your still in school and it may be early but have a hunt for some jobs that you think you would like to do and see what they ask for.

I graduated in robotics recently (in Australia) and while looking for jobs noticed many of the big Automotive firms want experience in CATIA. Would have been nice to have realised this when I was in the same position as you.

That being said, learning any or all of the mentioned packages is not a waste. The more packages you learn the easier it becomes to pick new ones up  :)