go away spammer

Author Topic: low cost badass rotory encoder  (Read 1335 times)

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
low cost badass rotory encoder
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:30:40 AM »
so i made this video yesterday about a rotary encoder i made and i think it's a very good yet simple design. essentially it' just a quad op amp chip and a hard drive motor and the device below is just made as a sort of example of what it does. it needs some tweaking but all in all it's actually very accurate at higher speeds. I haven't done a schematic yet but if people want one then i can slap one together.

Using Hard Drive Motor to Make Pretty LEDs Blink (aka rotory encoder with an op amp)
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
Re: low cost badass rotory encoder
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
ok maybe it's not badass but it is pretty cool. i'm going to be doing some stuff with a microcontroller using this thing soon
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline owk

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
sure a schematic would be cool, so could i slap this on to the back end of a motor shaft and use it to get feedback to a motor controller as to motor position or speed, and could you briefly explain what are op amps, im a noob
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:18:24 PM by owk »

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:57:18 PM »
sure a schematic would be cool, so could i slap this on to the back end of a motor shaft and use it to get feedback to a motor controller as to motor position or speed, and could you briefly explain what are op amps, im a noob

Op-Amps or Operational Amplifiers are devices used to amplify voltage and current proportionally to its input. There are many tutorials on them, so just google it, read some literature, do some simulation tests or prototyping.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Get Your Ad Here