Author Topic: Arduino + OpenCV  (Read 6538 times)

Offline macbookTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Arduino + OpenCV
« on: July 06, 2009, 04:53:11 AM »
Hey,
Has anyone tried OpenCV for image processing techniques like object detection, edge detection etc with an Arduino board?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Arduino + OpenCV
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »
It won't work, the Arduino doesn't have the memory or processing power for vision.

(most microcontrollers don't)

Offline wil.hamilton

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • rtfm
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »
for image detection you'd have to go with a computer, or maybe a gumstick (which, is a computer) you might be able to do it with an ARM, but, i'm not sure about that,

does anyone know if an arm would be capable of doing video processing?
use the google.  it's your friend.

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 12:48:51 AM »
I'd bet the arm9's would do it.  The iphone has one, and I bet it has enough power for some image processing.  I don't know to what extent though.  I think one of the cmu cams is based off of an arm7 too.

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:26:02 AM »
I'd bet the arm9's would do it.  The iphone has one, and I bet it has enough power for some image processing.  I don't know to what extent though.  I think one of the cmu cams is based off of an arm7 too.

The original and 3G iPhone have a ARM11, the 3GS has a ARM cortex A8. ARM9 is 2 generation older and is found in some "standard" cellphone and the Nintendo DS for instance. It's a lot less powerful than the ARM11 and cortex.
The Cortex could probably be used for image processing, but before jumping on it, try your algorithm on a desktop machine and try to compute the amount of MIPS you need. This can be tricky since you will be using a different architecture. Then check if one of the Cortex suits your need. There are a few different models, targeted for different market with a wide performance range.

Chelmi.

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:27:34 AM »
The original and 3G iPhone have a ARM11, the 3GS has a ARM cortex A8

my bad

Get Your Ad Here