Author Topic: Which is best LEGO or Mecano  (Read 6254 times)

Offline The Big BTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Which is best LEGO or Mecano
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:42:11 AM »
My question is which is the best for creating simple robots quickly LEGO or Mecano? I was always a LEGO guy but I've been looking at the Mecano set recently and i'm beginning to thing that they may be slightly more compatible with my own components such as motors and servos, that was alway the problem I had with the LEGO pieces, it was very hard to get the gears and other components to work with your own motors. So I was just wondering what anyone else taught?

Offline MangoBot

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
    • BeginneRobot
Re: Which is best LEGO or Mecano
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:15:31 AM »
Lego is very quick and easy to take apart like a breadboard, mecano on the other hand looks like it would be a little more permanent and heavy. I personally like legos because I use mindstorms and Im used to the technic parts

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:41:55 AM »
Yes I suppose your right, maybe thats why it seem's a little more useful now I'm kinda starting to look into making more sturdy  permanent machines. I've never used the LEGO mindstorm but I have seen some of the devices people have created on youtube using it, they are amazing, my favorite is this warehouse project I think it's just amazing

Lego Mindstorms Warehouse Project 

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
After some googling and a bit of confusion with the spanish pop band by the same name... Mecano looks like a UK version of an erector set. So under that assumption I have a lot of trouble with my erector set connecting to simple things like sensors (specifically the EZ1) and servos. Of course you just gave me a great idea. Time to fire up the sketchup and inkscape and work on some laser cut erector to common sensor mounting kits.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »
Yes your right it is an English construction kit, sorry I taught it was a common kit around the world like LEGO is, my mistake. That is a good idea, I had been considering getting some of these kits and creating my own mounts to combine the parts I already had with an easy to assemble kit, I was thinking it would make quick redesigns possible. As well as that some of the wheel mountings and gears look much stronger than those you get in the hobby electronic type shops over here.

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »
The other issue I have with erector/mecano is that the bolts never stay tight. They need lock washers and the stupid square nut is annoying. For more permanent stuff I would recommend using your own hardware to assemble it. If your tossing together a platform to test an idea or sensor might not be worth it but a few screws and lock nuts is cheaper and easier then building something from scratch. You got me thinking about some cool adapters as well. Might have to print a few prototypes and maybe try to get someone like sparkfun to sell them.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:12:14 PM »
I see what your saying, the components such as the beams and that are useful but really you would need to purchase a load of screws and lock nuts to suit, thats not a bad idea even if your not going to use the kits you'd always find use for extra screws and nuts when you need them. I have recently got a beginner Bioloid kit and I was thinking of making adapters so that I can use the gears and pulley wheels from the Mecano sets with the Bioloid servos as they are very accurate compared to my other motors and servos.

Get Your Ad Here