Author Topic: Inputs for autonomous modification  (Read 2968 times)

Offline ShaWTiMeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Inputs for autonomous modification
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
Hi, I am new to the forum and new to robotics and have some questions that I hope the community can assist with. I am a Senior Mechanical Engineer student and need some information for my design project. Our sponsor has given us a four wheeled robot to use. I am in search of some information on how to make the robot autonomous. The goal of the project is to have this robot attach to a remote controller helicopter. The mechanical design for attachment is already done. Currently the attachment would require human interface to control the robot to guide it in the attaching device. I am trying to see how feasible it would be to set the robot into an 'autopilot' mode so it will self align correctly with the attaching device. I have found some proximity sensors on a website and was wondering what else might be needed. Attachment will take place on two sides of the robot. Some guildelines and a generic part list will be greatly appreciated as to my robotic experience is very limited. Also any helpful sources would be great as to I am not sure where to find a lot of this information. Thanks for your time.
-Randy
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:53:19 PM by ShaWTiMe »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Inputs for autonomous modification
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 03:47:51 AM »
Our sponsor has given us a four wheeled robot to use.
Got a link?

How big is the robot and helicopter? Inside or outside? What precision do you require? Any landing time limits? Does it have to land while the ground robot is moving? Whats your budget?

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:05:04 AM »
You could use a compass sensor in the helicopter and one in the car, so then you would know which way each is facing.

Offline WaterPig Master

• Helpful? 3
  • Hurdy Gurdy playing at Raglan
    • WaterPigs.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
Hi there

There could be several options, as Razor Concepts said, a compass sensor might work, such as the Dinsmore 1490.  Another possibility is GPS, a reciever on the helicopter and on the 4 wheeled thing, with a radio link between them, so that the 'copter can tell the truck where it is, and the truck can go there.  What exactly is the 'attaching device'?

Thanks,
WaterPig Master

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »
Sorry for late reply, as far as the precision, the attaching device which uses a "ball and socket" design compensates for a margin of error, so it does not have to be extremely precise. The attachment will take place on the sides of the robot, so for the sensors it would need to register if the robot needs too move to the right or left to be aligned properly. I am basically just asking for some examples of what types of sensors are needed for this. Also any other components needed to make these sensors operate.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:42:32 PM »
SOme more information, for the 'autopilot' mode, for now I am trying to find options so that once the robot is maybe within 5 feet of the helicopter then it can just be switched into the autopilot mode. So any long distance applications are over the top for now. Thanks.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
I have been looking at some proximity sensors, are there any sensors that can locate another sensor or specific object so that I may create a program so that the sensor needs to be a certain distance from one another so that the robot is in the correct location?

I have trying to look for more info on the compass sensor and was wondering what else might be needed to complete the required goal.
Thanks

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:02:43 AM »
are there any sensors that can locate another sensor or specific object so that I may create a program so that the sensor needs to be a certain distance from one another so that the robot is in the correct location?
There are a few, google around for these . . .

infrared beacons (pololu.com) or handmade
color camera blob tracking (blackfin, cmucam, etc)
audio tracking sensors such as that used at the AUVSI underwater competitions

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, in lack of time my team decided that the autopilot mode would not be possible because our time to complete our design has been shortened significantly. This was just going to be an optimization of our design if we were going to have enough time. Once again thanks.
-Randy

data_list