go away spammer

Author Topic: quadcopter build  (Read 3627 times)

Offline roboninja93Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
quadcopter build
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:50:33 AM »
is it possible to make a quadcopter using brushed motors and motor drivers??
usually brushless motors with esc are used so is it practical using motor driver with brushed motor?
thanks

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: quadcopter build
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »
Brushed motors, at reasonable cost points, tend to produce less power per weight than brushless motors; as the motors (via the propellers) provide the entirety of the lift for a quadcopter, it is generally more cost effective to go brushless, especially considering the low cost of brushless motors and ESCs.

Offline roboninja93Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »
Brushed motors, at reasonable cost points, tend to produce less power per weight than brushless motors; as the motors (via the propellers) provide the entirety of the lift for a quadcopter, it is generally more cost effective to go brushless, especially considering the low cost of brushless motors and ESCs.
Thanks for the reply...i am on my first quadcopter project and want to spend cautiously... i have brushed motors 12V of 20000+ rpm and draws current of 5 to 6 amp(measured it by a multimeter by connecting d motor with propeller to an eliminator) and can manage the motor drivers... i plan to use avr atmega 8 to control the drivers... so is it practical so go ahead with this or brushless motors are necessary?
i have another question
how do we calculate the thrust produced by the propeller given diameter of the prop?

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
The key factor here is thrust-to-weight: how heavy are your motors?

And thrust can be theoretically calculated by looking at the air displaced, but it's easier just to get a prop and measure the force (using a scale or anything like that)

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Another thought on the brushed motors - the brushes wear out. They also tend to generate more heat. Brushless motors really are designed for this kind of continuous movement.
-garrett

Get Your Ad Here

data_list