Author Topic: Joystick manual control software for a Roland MDX-20 milling machine  (Read 5271 times)

Offline cndTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hi All,

I wrote some software that lets you control your RML-1 compatible milling machine (e.g. Roland ModelA MDX-20, MDX-15, etc) with a regular windows joystick.

The source code and program are attached (and also here:
http://chrisdrake.com/airfoil/Roland_MDX-20-Manual-commander.zip)

If you use a wireless USB XBox controller for the joystick, it makes for a *very* cool way to use your milling machine manually :-)

Here's the controls:-

Offline ma_tty_d

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Joystick manual control software for a Roland MDX-20 milling machine
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
Hey mate,

awesome work with the code, i've been looking for something to be able to do this for a while now!

I'm new to the forums here and found your post. I would love to be able to control my MDX-20 via a joystick or controller, but the link you provided didn't work and i couldn't find the attached file :(

please feel free to email me, hope to hear from you soon :) cheers,

Matt

Offline cndTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 03:05:50 AM »
Hey Matt - glad you like it, or at least the idea anyhow.

Google "Roland_MDX-20-Manual-commander" if you can't get the link to work, or type this into your browser manually perhaps:-

www.chrisdrake.com/airfoil/

then click the relevant download from the list.

Offline gfeuer

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hello,

Thank you for this awesome code I can't believe you made exactly what I was looking for. My only issue is that I would like to make broader motions using the d-pad. I found that when I use the joystick I sometimes drift to either side (my fault for not having a steady hand). I'm not familiar with coding in PERL and I was wondering if you knew a simple edit that would let me use broad strokes with the d-pad.

Offline cndTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
I've added a few new features recently - including the ability to cut perfect-sized circles and elipses.  I'm considering adding more features, like cutting from drawings, lines and other measured-motions, gear-wheels, and precise arbitrary shapes created "immediately" using the joystick...  if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post my code.

Get Your Ad Here