go away spammer

Author Topic: Axon competition?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Ro-Bot-XTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
Axon competition?
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:13:08 AM »
Here is a quote from LMR:
Recently the Arduino IDE has jumped from 0018 to 0019 and today I found version 0020 available with support for the ATmega2560!

To me this is great timing as DAGU is developing a new robot controller (Arduino compatible) designed specifically for humanoid and hexapod style robots that require a lot of servos.

The real question is, does anyone think they could use 256K of flash program memory? I thought 128K was heaps with Mr.Tidy's sample code being about 18K at the moment.

Is it worth paying the extra money for an additional 128K you might never use?

Looks like Axon will have competition, and a more powerful one. I don't think it will be a better one, but I thought I would give the heads up.

By the way, the new OptiBoot bootloader that is only 512bytes (see below) was used for the new Arduinos and I got one that uses UART1 to upload code (to try it out on the Axon). Besides the small size, this bootloader allows uploading code at 115200 baud. I still have to adapt some core files to use the Axon with Arduino IDE, but this bootloader makes uploading the code directly from the IDE a reality. Tests will be done soon.

Correction: Uno uses the OptiBoot (128bytes), Mega2560 uses the stk500v2 (512bytes).

If someone wants to try it before I get to do it myself, here it is:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:42:38 AM by Ro-Bot-X »
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
Re: Axon competition?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »
The only thing I'd consider to be 'more powerfull' then the Axon would be a high bus width MCU like the 32 bit AVRs or faster clocks. (HINT HINT John!)

More code space just means more breathing room for poor (inefficient) programmers.  

If the PC side flash code for the Optiboot is 64bit compatible, that would be a good thing for the Axon.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:07:16 AM by madsci1016 »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list