Author Topic: I have a whole desktop to use for parts but not sure where to start  (Read 1636 times)

Offline KyleTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
As I said I have a whole desktop that is just sitting around as a blue screen of death giving paper weight. I want to use it for parts but have no idea where to begin. I should also mention that I have very little experience with electronics and need everything in laymans terms. Does any one by chance know what robot parts I could get from a desktop and how to get them out? Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. -Kyle :)

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
Re: I have a whole desktop to use for parts but not sure where to start
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »
CDROM motors and hard drive motors are cool....past that just the passive components  and the wire, for the most part are going to be just about it.
-garrett

Offline Archangel

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: I have a whole desktop to use for parts but not sure where to start
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:02:03 AM »
Hi Kyle,
Assuming this desktop is worthless as a computer . . .
CPU heatsink and fan MIGHT handle a small H Bridge. Switching power supply could make a 12v/5v bench supply, case might make local scrapper a nice gift. Great rare earth magnets in HDD, if really old then small useful steppers in 5" floppy drive. Hang HDD platters in fruit trees to scare birds . . .

If it works, then it could be the brains, but you will need some programming skills or a friend who has them. Parallel and serial ports CAN do useful things, just think of a printer as a robot.
But now you are talking about some serious batteries to haul around, or have the desktop control the robot via 802.11 wireless link . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list