Author Topic: Obsticle Ovidence  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Togo5Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Obsticle Ovidence
« on: April 11, 2007, 03:55:34 PM »
i have the ooPIC-R Microcontroller and have done the simple flashing LED experiment with code,

i now want to build a robot that will use obsticle ovidence, sort of like STAMPY but not with the advanced IR range finder.

has anyone got any codes already made tht they could give me, or got any general ideas on how i could do it?

Thanks

Offline Somchaya

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • You know it's cute!
Re: Obsticle Ovidence
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:37:06 PM »
Hmm, so for obstacle avoidance, you'll need some way of detecting obstacles.. The range finder that Stampy uses is probably one of the easiest ways of doing that.

You might be able to detect obstacles with IR sensors instead, but that will probably make the robot avoid light/darkness too, depending on how you set it. My suggestion for obstacle avoidance is to go with the range finders.
Somchaya - Back after a year of misc things
http://whisker.scribblewiki.com

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »
what about bump sensors?
simple switches on the front of the bot.
drive forwards by default. if a switch on the front of the bot is pressed, reverse for 1 second, turn 90 degrees and continue forward again.

it would bake a clumsy little bot, crashing into, rather than avoiding obstacles but it would be a simple yet effective first project.

dunk.

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:17:55 PM »
There are quite a few ways of obstacle avoidance.  Here's a couple with the limited time I have.

- Bumper/Touch Sensor
Uses 1s and 0s to measure.  If it runs into something, it goes 1 and tries to move around it. 

- IR Rangefinder measuring distances from objects
Takes ranges from different points, and when it gets within a defined value from an object, it rotates or performs some line in code.

- Ultra Sonics
Send pulses of sound foreward and recieves it a time later.  The time measure is calibrated and a value is given as distance.  Again, if it gets within a distance of something, it performs something.

- Camera
An actual camera observes the environment keeping note of things around it.  I would recommend only for experts.  I haven't even used it yet.

There's a couple ideas, there are more... I just don't have much time.  It's all a matter of how much time you want to spend and how much $$ you have on you.

Stupid Capitalism

The codes for all of those are easily found (Except perhaps camera) online.  If you choose one, we can probably help get you started. 

Offline Somchaya

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • You know it's cute!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 07:03:06 PM »
what about bump sensors?
simple switches on the front of the bot.
drive forwards by default. if a switch on the front of the bot is pressed, reverse for 1 second, turn 90 degrees and continue forward again.

it would bake a clumsy little bot, crashing into, rather than avoiding obstacles but it would be a simple yet effective first project.

dunk.

:o I totally forgot about bump sensors!!! *sheepish look*
Somchaya - Back after a year of misc things
http://whisker.scribblewiki.com

Get Your Ad Here