Author Topic: I think I may have killed my Axon II  (Read 1802 times)

Offline jtamborraTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I think I may have killed my Axon II
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »
I can't get my PC to recognize my Axon II board through the USB port anymore! It worked perfectly, then I may have accidentally plugged a 6v battery into the pins labeled 3.3v out, now the PC doesn't recognize the Axon II board. The lights for logic and drive (I separated the input voltages) still light up, but no PC recognition. Anyone else done this?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: I think I may have killed my Axon II
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
The USB serial chip on the Axon/II should show up in the Device Manager regardless of whether it's powered on.  I forget what it shows up as, but open Device Manager, then plug in the Axon. Device Manager will refresh its listing when you plug in the Axon.

Actually now that I read your post again, I think someone else did the same thing a couple of months ago, and in fact fried the USB-UART chip because they're both on the 3.3 V line, or something.  I can't find the thread, though...

One option is to use a hardware programmer, if you have one.  If not, the $20 one from Pololu is a nice and cheap one to get.  The other option, iirc, was replacing that tiny surface mount IC.  Admin will know more and show up, eventually, I'm sure :)

Edit: Not the thread I was thinking of, but same situation: http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=10263.0
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:43:19 PM by Gertlex »
I

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
Yes, thanks for the thread link... Looks like the USB chip is most likely burned. It doesn't show in the Device Mgr anymore (and it used to, just fine, everytime). Does the hardware programmer plug onto the axon ii pins through a USB plug to a computer? I'm using roborealm and gait designer, and I'm wondering if I have the same programmablilty as before? Just through a different UART path, right?

is this the one you're talking about?
https://www.solarbotics.com/products/19180/

thx!

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 10:49:07 PM »
The programmer has 6 pins, and one of them has a triangle on the plastic near the pin. Similarly, the Axon 2 has 6 pins on the interior of the board, with a square of white around them, and an arrow at one of the pins. That's where you connect the programmer. 

As for actually programming stuff, you would then do it via AVR Studio 4 (or some other tools).  I've not actually done more than install the drivers for the programmer, personally... I've not seen any tutorials for using the programmer (Someone should do this x) )
I

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 06:14:56 AM »
is this the one you're talking about?
https://www.solarbotics.com/products/19180/
This one would be better. It's not only a more recent version that will work with Windows 7, but it's cheaper too. See also the warning on the product page for the Orangutan programmer.

If you're not in Canada, think about getting it from Pololu to avoid the international shipping charges.

Joe

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 06:16:35 AM »
As for actually programming stuff, you would then do it via AVR Studio 4 (or some other tools).  I've not actually done more than install the drivers for the programmer, personally... I've not seen any tutorials for using the programmer (Someone should do this x) )

Some one has :-) http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J36

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »
I'm relieved to know I've only just INJURED my axon II, not killed it...

Thx to all for the advice!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
sorry for the late reply, I was in 'no such thing as internet land' for the last few days . . .

As Gertlex said, basically you fried the USB chip by giving it 6V+. The rest of your Axon will be fine. Just get a USB to serial adapter so you can use USB on a different UART port (the Axon uses UART1 for USB, but it has three others you can use instead if the USB chip fries).

Just a note, make sure the USB chip doesn't overheat when you power your Axon normally. There is a small chance it could still be internally shorting your power, even though you aren't using USB.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list