Author Topic: robot engineer for hire  (Read 4470 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
robot engineer for hire
« on: March 07, 2007, 10:48:37 AM »
Im hiring! Ok well not really me, but the Navy.

We are looking for a paid summer 2007 intern that is interested in learning how to build robot fish. There will be an opportunity for a full time position starting in and after January 2008.

The single requirement is that the candidate has built a few robots in the past. Must be capable of building an entire robot on his/her own (electronics, programming, and mechanics). Someone seeking full time employment with us after graduation preferred.

To apply, email me your intentions with videos, pictures, and descriptions of robots you have built. If you built these robots in a team, specify your part.

John
Research Engineer
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington, DC

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: robot engineer for hire
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:33:26 PM »
To answer the additional questions Ive been getting . . .

I will be leaving my job here at the Naval Research Lab (south east DC, south of Bolling AFB) around this time next year, and I must find and train my replacement.

There is quite a large amount of information I must pass down to my replacement, so ideally I would like to have the hiring finalized by this coming winter and have about two or three months to train before March of 2008. The idea of the summer internship is so we can try and coincide with the school year and have someone lined up beforehand.

Its a 'multi-hat' job, meaning you will do everything from embedded programming, circuit design, machining, computational analysis, etc. If a candidate has built decent complete robots on his/her own, that person would be a strong hire - even if the person is weak in a particular area (such as programming, for example).

Oh and I forgot to mention the benefits. The hours are very very flexible. There is optional biannual travel involved too - for example, I am going to Italy to present our research in April. Its a nice perk =)
DC is also a great city for young professionals.

As for the pay, its between industry and university pay. If you like to do research and write papers, but get paid for it at the same time, then this is the job for you! :P

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
DOH! I just go hired at a company in Iowa....or else I would have applied.

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:32:09 PM »
Is there a robotics group there, or is it just you?
Also does the pay match the cost for living in DC?
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:35:36 PM by sdk32285 »
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 07:59:43 PM »
Is there a robotics group there, or is it just you?
I am the only robotics guy in the building :P
Your collegues will mostly be PhD's in biochemistry, materials, and CFD.

Also does the pay match the cost for living in DC?
Definitely. Pay is dependent on your skills and commitment. I am not authorized to decide on pay, but I'd say its twice that of a University research job and about 2/3rds that of a comparative industry job.

I actually live in Maryland just outside of DC to avoid the higher taxes and rent rates. The cost of living significantly drops the further out of the city you live. The public transportation here is really good too (in case you dont own a car).

If you are one of those people that can't decide between doing graduate school and industry, this job would be a healthy middle. Its like getting papers published, but instead of getting a masters degree, you get paid :P

Get Your Ad Here