Author Topic: robotic vacuum pump  (Read 4560 times)

Offline dmehlingTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
robotic vacuum pump
« on: May 23, 2007, 02:15:17 PM »
In my robotic design, I was wanting to incorporate a vacuum pump mechanism.  Do you have any idea where I could find a vacuum pump that I could control with a microcontroller?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: robotic vacuum pump
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 07:05:46 AM »
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22vacuum+pump%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

You will need to hack the on/off switch . . . replace it with a MOSFET, where the gate pin is connected to a digital output of a microcontroller.

Offline drcrash

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
    • Vacuum Former Plans
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 03:23:48 PM »
Doug Walsh is selling some nice Thomas oilless piston pumps right now for under $100, shipped, at www.build-stuff.com

How much vacuum do you need for what you're doing?  There are several other things you can use as vacuum pumps if you don't need a lot of flow.

Offline dmehlingTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »
I actually don't need very much suction.  I am using this for a page turning machine, so probably no more than a few inches of static pressure.  I happened to stumble across the robot tutorial for the card shuffling robot which I believe was made by the administrator of this robot forum, and whatever suction pump he used would probably be adequate.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 03:32:04 PM »
I just used a suction cup taken off a toy. No air required.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list