Author Topic: Help Needed! Mobile Robot Programming in C#!  (Read 3241 times)

Offline iamaldrinTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Help Needed! Mobile Robot Programming in C#!
« on: July 23, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
Can anyone teach me how to use OpenCV or RoboRealm in C#? I prefer OpenCV since RR needs a license key. I have little knowledge in C#, don't know much about the basics of it since I was using VB.Net.

Our project is about a Tank type Robot with Cam that picks up objects, identifies it's shape, then places it in its corresponding box. It cannot be connected to a PC so we're planning on putting a motherboard inside the body.

I need to know:

-What is needed for Video Processing in C# ( I have EmguCV )
-What are the steps in getting the objects in the video
-How to make the Robot move using 2 servo motors and stop if he sees an object
-How to avoid walls

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time. :D :D

Offline adanvasco

• Helpful? 6
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
Re: Help Needed! Mobile Robot Programming in C#!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
Hi. Did you make the robot already? What do you mean by motherboard? Can you give more info as for the robot itself? Do you need help making the robot?
Knowledge does not weigh.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:52:33 AM »
Hi. Did you make the robot already? What do you mean by motherboard? Can you give more info as for the robot itself? Do you need help making the robot?

No. We're still planning on how to make the robot. Our plan is embed a motherboard of an atom laptop since we can't buy an ARM11 here in the Phil. The robot will be composed of 2 servos, a mechanical arm, a camera, and maybe sensors for wall detection. Cause I don't know the algorithm for image wall detection. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks! :D

Offline adanvasco

• Helpful? 6
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »
I cannot give you much help with C# since I've never done any programming with MS languages. From what I read on the OpenCV wiki, they have C, C++ and Python interfaces for most OSs. It's up to you to decide if you want to learn C# or any of the languages for which there are examples already.
The easiest way to move the robot using 2 servos is the differential drive method, which what tanks use anyway. One motor moves forward and the other one moves backward to go straight. Then one both motors move forward to turn to one side or backwards to turn to the other side.
To avoid walls you can use an IR rangefinder (emitter / detector couple) or an even better ultrasonic rangefinder.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
I cannot give you much help with C# since I've never done any programming with MS languages. From what I read on the OpenCV wiki, they have C, C++ and Python interfaces for most OSs. It's up to you to decide if you want to learn C# or any of the languages for which there are examples already.
The easiest way to move the robot using 2 servos is the differential drive method, which what tanks use anyway. One motor moves forward and the other one moves backward to go straight. Then one both motors move forward to turn to one side or backwards to turn to the other side.
To avoid walls you can use an IR rangefinder (emitter / detector couple) or an even better ultrasonic rangefinder.

We're kind of restricted to use expensive stuffs because the project needs to be cost effective or something. If I use 2 servos that way, then i would need 4 servos? 2 on the left and 2 on the right? How much weight can a servo handle?

Offline adanvasco

• Helpful? 6
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:59:57 AM »
I don't really see the need for four servos. I've never made a tank bot myself but I'm pretty sure if you look through the forum you'll find some valuable info on that subject. The weight depends upon your specific situation. Make an approximate guess of the total weight of the robot and buy the servos accordingly.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »
Ok, so far, will be needing 2 servos, a camera, an IR rangefinder, a mechanical arm and a motherboard. It's not really my problem because im in charge of the programming part. Any knowledge on how to use ports in C#?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 07:40:06 AM »
Any knowledge on how to use ports in C#?
Its in the MicroSoft documents on C#. Look in the help when you have the C# IDE open.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 07:16:47 AM »
Is it possible for a robot to create a map of its area? Creating a map through programming, I want to create a map about where it found something, or where it'll go once it found something.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »
It is possible to write a program that will create a map of what the Robot finds through its sensors. There is an article in the "Robot Tutorials" found by clicking below the title on this page.
Also google will find  lots of other info.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
No. Through its camera. Create a map of the location based on the path that he has taken, and marks a spot where he finds something. I'll try to look it up.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »
I've seen adaptive mapping in the tutorials. Anyone know how to program it in C#?