go away spammer

Author Topic: Using a RC car as a base for autonomous robot  (Read 6757 times)

Offline TomasTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Using a RC car as a base for autonomous robot
« on: November 15, 2008, 06:03:43 AM »
Hi.

We're three guys working on a bachelor thesis where our plan is to use a rc car as a platform for a self controlled robot (we plan on integrating wall following to begin with).

Anyone done this before? Of course it is. :) It is only going to be a in house robot, so we don't need the huge wheels and springs\shocks. I guess a "racing" platform would do great.

The budget for the rc car is around 2-300 dollars. What is important is that the servos used is accurate and that the engine is easily integrated into the microcomputer we're going to use (still unknown what microcomputer to use). Any recommended rc cars for this use? And perhaps a place to buy? (online)

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
Re: Using a RC car as a base for autonomous robot
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:15:38 AM »
I would suggest going with a differential drive / swivel caster robot base instead of an RC car.  Almost all wheeled robots have this configuration.  It is much more maneuverable and accurate than an ackerman steering base (an RC car).  With your budget, you could get a very nice and versatile pre-built robot base with all the trimmings.  For example:
http://www.budgetrobotics.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=35
http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=47&catid=20
There are many other choices, too.

Offline TomasTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Using a RC car as a base for autonomous robot
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
One of the points in this project was to make a small scale vehicle that resembled the ones used in the DARPA challenge, which we could add functions to as we go along. Of course not nearly as advanced as the ones used to steer the real cars (we won't have laser scanning for example). But the ackerman steering base is then the most realistic way to simulate this don't you think?

But you do have a good point there. I've been thinking alot of how to compensate for the inaccuracy of the steering of the car, and we need a very accurate system of measuring where the robot has gone in two axis (including rotation). I will discuss the use of a pre-built robot base with the other guys in the group. Thanks.

So next question, what kind of possibilities is there for knowing where the robot is? (like an inside positioning system) We plan on not mapping the whole area the robot is going to be in, but let it scan along its way.

I have some ideas myself, going to share them when I've given them some more thought.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list