go away spammer

Author Topic: Hitec HS-5955TG servo too noisy. Need a good replacement  (Read 3215 times)

Offline klimsTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
Hitec HS-5955TG servo too noisy. Need a good replacement
« on: January 16, 2011, 03:55:31 PM »
Hi Guys,

A while back I purchased 2 HS-5955TG servos for my biped robot thinking that they would be amazing as hip joints, and they are, but they are SO loud. As soon as there is any load on them they whine like no servo I have ever heard!

I have a few of the HS-5645MG and they are great, but don't have enough holding torque.

Can anyone recommend a high end hobby servo with 10+ kg/cm of torque that aren't obscenely loud?

thanks guys.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Hitec HS-5955TG servo too noisy. Need a good replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:48:03 PM »
You didn't mention rotation speed or budget . . .

Buy some servo grease, open up your servos, and coat the gears in it. That'll dampen the noise a bit. Don't put grease on the two gears closest to the motor, or it'll kill the torque.

FYI - The 5955TG servos are obsolete, so now I use this as a good replacement:
http://servocity.com/html/hs-7955tg_servo.html

I add grease to the gears, but it still has noise. Only the very expensive servos will be "quite" . . .

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
You didn't mention rotation speed or budget . . .
Sorry.
I'm not too worried about the price at the minute. I will save if I have to. I just want to buy a servo that will do the job right the first time  :)
Anything faster than 0.18 sec/60 deg @ 6v will do.

I don't think the sound is coming from the gears. I think it's the motor.
My guess is that it is the coreless motor, but I don't know for sure. Some RC forums seem to think not.
If I didn't have the 5645MG digital servos I probably would have put it down to being digital.

If you listen to this youtube video you should be able to hear the sound I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00E6FMTXF_w&feature=player_embedded#]video-2010-07-31-20-20-22.3gp
The sound I'm talking about is the background hissing noise that turns into a loud buzzing when the robot starts to move.

I have looked at the 5955TG but I'm concerned that I'm going to have the same problem.

changed my min servo speed
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:49:59 PM by klims »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »
fyi, for a youtube vid link, just place the link and the forum will embed it for you

That background hissing . . . I'm really not sure what causes that. My servos do that too, but only when force is applied . . .

That loud squelch noise is almost surely the gears, but it's hard to tell . . . does it happen with all of the same servo type?

(sorry for not being of more help!)

two good charts to find another servo:
http://servocity.com/html/hitec_servos.html
http://servocity.com/html/futaba_servos.html

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »
fyi, for a youtube vid link, just place the link and the forum will embed it for you
Strange. I hit preview first and it showed the link as working, then the post showed it broken.

That background hissing . . . I'm really not sure what causes that. My servos do that too, but only when force is applied . . .
That loud squelch noise is almost surely the gears, but it's hard to tell . . . does it happen with all of the same servo type?
Yep the hissing and squelch happens only with the same coreless servos. My 3-pole digital servos don't make the noise. They just make the standard buzz when they move.

Maybe it would be easier if people could tell me what servos they have that make that same noise?

Get Your Ad Here