Author Topic: Ultimate Soccer Robot  (Read 3741 times)

Offline airman00Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Ultimate Soccer Robot
« on: May 07, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »
Hi Guys,
I've recently been given the opportunity to build a soccer kicker robot with a $1000 budget.
The soccer robot is for this competition : http://rcj.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/rcj2009/soccer-rules-2009.html
Its basically two robots - one goalie and one kicker, that push an infrared emitting ball into the opposing team's goal.
Here's a video:

I want to focus on the kicker robot in this thread, because the goalie robot is relatively easy to build.
The kicker has the following restrictions -    size/diameter: 22 cm     height:    22 cm   weight:      2.5 kg

The kicker has to locate the IR ball on the field, and then navigate around to push that IR ball into the opposing goal.
Locate infrared ball - I'm thinking a CMUcam or Blackfin camera  OR an array of infrared sensors. With the camera I guess I could either put on a physical IR filter ( like those found for digital cameras) or I could just have the camera search for the color that bluish/purpleish IR light seems to emit( human eye cant see it , but your cellphone camera can).

Navigate Around - either using cameras or ultrasonic, or a combination of both.

Push the IR ball - probably a linear actuator or a spinning motor wheel

Obviously depending on which method I use I will have to move up on processors - meaning if the Axon can't handle my hardware , I'll just use two Axons or maybe just a nano-ITX board. As for mechanics , I'll just build a nice platform that uses the fastest , strongest motors I can find :)

Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline AdvsNoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
Re: Ultimate Soccer Robot
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »
thats a awesome idea about that ball!!! Nice JOB!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:09:52 AM »
Hi,

Locate infrared ball - [...]With the camera I guess I could either put on a physical IR filter ( like those found for digital cameras) or [...]
You've got it backwards!
You want to remove any IR filters to make it more sensitive and then add an IR pass filter (that blocks out visible light).

An array of narrow angle IR detectors as a 360° skirt would probably be better though - at least much less CPU time intensive.

A solenoid is the way to go.

Obviously depending on which method I use I will have to move up on processors - meaning if the Axon can't handle my hardware , I'll just use two Axons or maybe just a nano-ITX board.
Whoa, easy now... If one can't handle it, you need to look to your programming first, as this is usually the main culprit.
Or... Decide from the start that you want to use distributed processing and use the main board just as a master.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline airman00Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:40:58 AM »
thanks for the reply Soeren

Here's what I'm thinking as of now:
Find the Ball = 10 IR sensors all around the robot (IR sensors would be connected to a comparator so that I would get a digital output, On or Off)
Navigate around the field and other robots = 6 PING Ultrasonic Sensors . I'd use these sensors to move around so that I get a clear shot of the goal and so I dont run into walls/robots.
Know direction of goal = 1 Compass Sensor
Aim for a goal = 1 CMUcam. Goals are either blue or yellow, so to aim my robot's "kick" I would align myself to the goal so that the middle mass of the goal color ( yellow or blue, depending on what side of the field I'm on) is right about center. Then I'd shoot.

You want to remove any IR filters to make it more sensitive and then add an IR pass filter (that blocks out visible light).
ahh thats what I meant , a pass filter.

A solenoid is the way to go.
[/quote]
A solenoid with a spring is a possibility, but I can't seem to find any small DC solenoids with springs attached. So far I've only found this one - http://www.surplusgizmos.com/Solenoid-12V-w-spring_p_818.html , but its a bit too big (11cm). I'll keep searching...
Also, if I find solenoids that are rated for 24V, at 12V they will just run at 1/2 the speed and 1/2 the torque, right?
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Come to the dark side... We have cookies!
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:48:53 AM »
this robocup thing looks cool
you are lucky you have the chance to build one.
Innovation is a product of Failure, which leads to Success.

If I helped, +1 helpful pls

I Won!
3rd place! I'm taking $100