Author Topic: anolog control of motor position?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline carlos067Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
anolog control of motor position?
« on: January 06, 2010, 01:58:02 PM »
Hey guys I have a quick question. I am building a sensor that is constantly moving. It will receive a 0-5V signal of wind direction from an anemometer and would like a stepper motor to recognize the 0-5V signal as a 0-359deg position command. I was thinking of using an analog to frequency converter, but wouldn't that just take the instantaneous volage and output a certain number of pulses meaning a turn of a certain amount? I would like to keep the sensing part always facing the wind.

Thanks in advance,
Carlos

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: anolog control of motor position?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
Hi,

Just make it like the ones used on weather stations, they're allways facing the wind.
Another method, if position sensing isn't needed, is to use a heated platinum wire.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline carlos067Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »
Thanks for the idea, but I would like to log direction data, either way I think I found a way to do it. IMS has stepper motor controllers that have an analog input, I could then use Mcode to write a program read the analog input scale it and have the motor do what I want.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »
Thanks for the idea, but I would like to log direction data,
The oldfashioned 3 half cups anemometer will work from any horizontal direction and a weather vane will allway point the way the wind is coming from, so in combination with an absolute rotary decoder (can be made on a PC and LASER-printed on a piece of overhead film, to be read by IR forks) and it will allways give you more precise data than if you try to follow the wind with a stepper.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here